Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Battle of the Gray Dinosaurs  (Read 2483 times)

tvrandywest

Battle of the Gray Dinosaurs
« on: March 01, 2004, 07:00:34 PM »
From Television Week

>>Dick Clark Accused of Age Discrimination

Dick Clark, 74, is being accused of age discrimination by a former colleague, television producer Ralph Andrews, 76. In a complaint filed in Los Angeles Superior Court, Mr. Andrews claims Mr. Clark wrote him a letter saying he was too old to be considered for a position with Dick Clark Productions.

The letter allegedly states: "It was good to hear from you, Ralph. This is a tough letter to write, I have great respect and admiration for your accomplishments ... The last development guy we hired was 27 years old. Another person who is joining our staff next week is 30. People our age are considered dinosaurs. The business is being run by 'the next generation.'"

Phillip R. Maltin, Mr. Andrew's attorney, said the rejection constitutes a violation of the Fair Employment and Housing Act.<<

The answer to surviving in today's political correctness, non-indecency, non-sexual harrassment climate is..... don't talk or write to anyone?

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 07:14:10 PM »
Bet 'ol Ralph is saying to himself, "I shoulda held on to the North American rights to 'Lingo.'"

Guess that guy who bought the rights to his shows defaulted on his payments after "It Takes Two" bombed.

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 07:23:55 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 04:14 PM\']Bet 'ol Ralph is saying to himself, "I shoulda held on to the North American rights to 'Lingo.'"[/quote]
Actually, I bet "ol' Ralph" is saying to himself "Here's a chance to get more money from Dick than the cumulative total of the 'winners' circle' payouts on the Pyramids he hosted"!

Put 30 seconds on the clock, here's your first lawsuit, GO!"

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

DrBear

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 08:21:27 PM »
I'll say it before somebody else does...
Since Dick told the "truth" will he pay the "consequences?"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2004, 08:43:29 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 09:21 PM\'] I'll say it before somebody else does...
Since Dick told the "truth" will he pay the "consequences?" [/quote]
 Unless my sarcasm meter is dead [again], you've got the wrong Ralph. Ralph EDWARDS [who is now 90, not 76] was the Truth or Consequences producer.

Ralph Andrews did You Don't Say and is infamous for going broke twice, after You Don't Say '78 ended and again sometime around the end of the runs of Lingo and Yahtzee in 1988.

Jay Temple

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2004, 09:58:50 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 07:21 PM\'] I'll say it before somebody else does...
 Don't feel too bad.  I had them confused, too.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

DrBear

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2004, 07:52:33 AM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 07:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 09:21 PM\'] I'll say it before somebody else does...
Unless my sarcasm meter is dead [again], you've got the wrong Ralph. Ralph EDWARDS [who is now 90, not 76] was the Truth or Consequences producer.

[/quote]
 *slinks off to the TTD90 room with a lunch*
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 10:02:19 AM »
Ralph Andrews should try for a job with Ralph Edwards Productions.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DjohnsonCB

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2004, 10:22:58 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 1 2004, 07:14 PM\']

Guess that guy who bought the rights to his shows defaulted on his payments after "It Takes Two" bombed. [/quote]
 Of *course* the 1997 version of "It Takes Two" bombed--no celeb couples, Stan Worth music or Vin Scully hosting...
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

ChuckNet

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2004, 12:26:34 PM »
Ralph Andrews did You Don't Say and is infamous for going broke twice, after You Don't Say '78 ended and again sometime around the end of the runs of Lingo and Yahtzee in 1988.

He didn't go broke after YDS, he was just involved in a lawsuit and used some game money to pay his expenses...both Jim Peck and announcer John Harlan eventually did get paid for their services, though I don't know about the contestants.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2004, 08:06:19 PM »
WCBS mentioned the lawsuit today (3/2) during their noon newscast...wonder how much publicity it'll generate...

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")