Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy! question...  (Read 4507 times)

Matt Ottinger

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2004, 12:56:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Feb 27 2004, 01:20 PM\'] I also remember the very first time a contestant wagered $xx01 or $xx99 on Final Jeopardy and Alex seemed puzzled.  He even asked the contestant why he risked such an odd amount and he explained why.  It became commonplace after that. [/quote]
 Far too commonplace all these years later are the Final Jeopardy bets where a player wagers everything but one dollar.  There are one or maybe two examples in the last twenty years when that kind of bet was useful, and even in those examples there was a better strategic bet.  Still, it continues to be a common thing for players to do.
Not as far as I know, but there have been some odd Daily Double wagers over the years. One contestant wanted to risk $1183 - and asked Alex "is that possible?" Alex replied "sure, just let our keyboard operator punch it in".

Another contestant once risked $1111 on the Daily Double.
The eventual winner of the most recent Teen Tournament wagered her "lucky number" of $2006 on a Daily Double last week.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

GSWitch

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2004, 01:24:56 PM »
There's no rule that odd betting can happen on Daily Doubles.  I even witnessed someone betting $5 (which is the minimum).

Card Sharks ruled against odd betting (IE:  $199 that it's lower than a Queen).  So did The Challengers when Dick Clark told a contestant that wagers have to be in multiples of $5.  And Dealer's Choice did the same thing when Jack Clark told a contestant that the computer takes multiples of $5 only, except in the final game.

Jay Temple

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2004, 10:59:07 PM »
I seem to remember an isolated occasion where someone wagered $1,234.56 (made-up number), and they treated it as a wager of $1,234.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Craig Karlberg

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2004, 06:56:26 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Feb 27 2004, 10:59 PM\'] I seem to remember an isolated occasion where someone wagered $1,234.56 (made-up number), and they treated it as a wager of $1,234. [/quote]
Couldn't they "round it up" to $1,235?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2004, 02:17:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Feb 28 2004, 04:56 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Feb 27 2004, 10:59 PM\'] I seem to remember an isolated occasion where someone wagered $1,234.56 (made-up number), and they treated it as a wager of $1,234. [/quote]
Couldn't they "round it up" to $1,235? [/quote]
 They could; obviously, they choose not to.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2004, 07:27:39 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 27 2004, 01:24 PM\'] Card Sharks ruled against odd betting (IE:  $199 that it's lower than a Queen).  So did The Challengers when Dick Clark told a contestant that wagers have to be in multiples of $5.  And Dealer's Choice did the same thing when Jack Clark told a contestant that the computer takes multiples of $5 only, except in the final game. [/quote]
 Could contestants bid in mulitples of 25?  I know they did when they had an amount; say $2050 on the Big Bet, and they only bet half; but was it allowed any other time?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Steve McClellan

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2004, 07:44:37 PM »
I remember Jim telling Bill Cullen not to risk $75 of his $100 on his second decision. I don't know if this was because it was illegal or just a bad idea, not leaving him with enough for the minimum bet if he missed.

zachhoran

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2004, 07:50:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Feb 28 2004, 07:27 PM\'] [quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Feb 27 2004, 01:24 PM\'] Card Sharks ruled against odd betting (IE:  $199 that it's lower than a Queen).  So did The Challengers when Dick Clark told a contestant that wagers have to be in multiples of $5.  And Dealer's Choice did the same thing when Jack Clark told a contestant that the computer takes multiples of $5 only, except in the final game. [/quote]
Could contestants bid in mulitples of 25?  I know they did when they had an amount; say $2050 on the Big Bet, and they only bet half; but was it allowed any other time? [/quote]
 ISTR that it was reported on Usenet that wagering in multiples of 25 wasn't allowed. This could lead someone to have a number ending in 25 or 75 for the Big Bet, and dividing such a number by two wouldn't result in a whole number.

carlopanno

Jeopardy! question...
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2004, 12:48:11 AM »
When I was at Jeopardy! the staffers would record the wagers and do the math to determine what would happen if the contestant won or lost. (I don't know if they "helped" the contestants with their wagers: As a research staffer I kept my distance from contestants.)

I'd like to think they would notice if the contestant wagered more than they had. At any rate, in five years I never saw a Final Jeopardy! wager that was higher than the contestant's winnings.

--C