Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Thursday's (3/11) TPIR  (Read 4785 times)

cmjb13

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2004, 06:28:35 PM »
Just out of curiosity, how was Rich's warmup?

What did he do?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

ChuckNet

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2004, 06:30:15 PM »
What about the popcorn machine sometimes offered as a One-Bid item on TPiR a few yrs back? It was always described as a "gay 90s popcorn machine"! :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

ChuckNet

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2004, 06:34:24 PM »
You must not mean Claudia Jordan then?

I don't think Brandon FG's bald OR middle-aged. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

Matt Ottinger

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2004, 07:45:48 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Mar 11 2004, 07:28 PM\'] Just out of curiosity, how was Rich's warmup? [/quote]
 Brief and not particularly entertaining, but I don't get the impression that's his forte.  I don't know if it's come up yet, but he's a weatherman (excuse me -- meteorologist) for CBS-2 in Palm Springs.  Basically just a lot of encouragement to yell really loud (like they needed help with that).  He brought a few folks up to dance, and a few others to do their own versions of "Come On Down!".  

Best I could tell, they only had to do one audio pick-up on one of his product pitches, and I'm guessing they left in the gender-confusion on one of the names he called.  Still, if all they need is a good voice, *I* could be their announcer.  They need somebody whose voice has personality, and specifically a personality that matches the game.  That's clearly our Mr. West, and it's a shame they don't appear to see that.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2004, 11:31:06 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 11 2004, 06:34 PM\']
You must not mean Claudia Jordan then?

I don't think Brandon FG's bald OR middle-aged. :-)
 [/quote]
 You are correct, sir! :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Casey Buck

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2004, 01:05:54 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Mar 11 2004, 04:45 PM\']Still, if all they need is a good voice, *I* could be their announcer.  They need somebody whose voice has personality, and specifically a personality that matches the game.  That's clearly our Mr. West, and it's a shame they don't appear to see that.[/quote]
I said this on golden-road.net just now, but I think it applies here:

I have a feeling that the results of The Second Great TPiR Announcer Search® will be known in time for the Season 33 Premiere (it's only about half a year away; has time really gone by that fast?)  

TPiR is probably reserving the rest of the season for the other announcers to try out, so that they can say that TPiR went through many announcers before deciding on The One (we and the person in question all know who The One is).

Come September, I think that we'll be hearing the dulcet tones of the illustrious one, Randy West once again.

Terry K

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2004, 02:29:06 AM »
[quote name=\'Casey Buck\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 01:05 AM\'] I have a feeling that the results of The Second Great TPiR Announcer Search® will be known in time for the Season 33 Premiere (it's only about half a year away; has time really gone by that fast?)  
 [/quote]
 Let us not forget that the Season 33 premiere tapes in a couple of months (I believe it tapes in May or June, no?)  That's only a couple months to evaluate potential announcers.

And yes, its been about 6 months since we lost Rod.  

Quick question before I ramble a bit more on why they waited until after Jan 15 or so to rotate in new announcers, for Randy:  Did they have you and Burton scheduled out far enough in advance?  (I am guessing both of you were scheduled into TPIR out until January at the least)

tvrandywest

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2004, 05:21:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 11:29 PM\'] Quick question before I ramble a bit more on why they waited until after Jan 15 or so to rotate in new announcers, for Randy:  Did they have you and Burton scheduled out far enough in advance?  (I am guessing both of you were scheduled into TPIR out until January at the least) [/quote]
 "Far enough in advance". By what criteria? It was comfortable for me.

Burton and I were alternating; it became organized to where each of us was doing a month (3 weeks of shows and one week off), with the exception of a few odd dates that were traded off to accommodate our schedules on other work.

And of course for the time that Rod was still with us, we were prepared to step back with only minimal notice to accommodate any days that Rod felt he could work. He was anxious to return right up to the end. Indeed Rod scheduled some of his treatment so that he could pick up the ocassional day. He amazed the staff on those days by dragging himself in, performing at 100% energy, and then collapsing on the dressing room sofa, thoroughly exhausted. A trouper to the end.

Roger told me around late November that the decision was made to audition a few other folks before a permanent replacement would be named. I think it is appropriate to repeat that on the overview, not referencing any specific good or poor performances or auditioners, the results have, in general, been considered less promising than anticipated. At present, announcers are being booked for 1 week of work at a time, and are only being scheduled a couple of weeks in advance.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

tommycharles

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2004, 02:46:44 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 05:21 AM\'] I think it is appropriate to repeat that on the overview, not referencing any specific good or poor performances or auditioners, the results have, in general, been considered less promising than anticipated. At present, announcers are being booked for 1 week of work at a time, and are only being scheduled a couple of weeks in advance.

[/quote]
 In reality it's pretty remarkable they found a perfect fit in Rod as soon as they did.

Mike Tennant

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2004, 09:21:28 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 05:21 AM\']Roger told me around late November that the decision was made to audition a few other folks before a permanent replacement would be named.[/quote]
I have a theory about this, and it comes from the story of the casting of Adam West as Batman back in 1966.  According to William Dozier, executive producer (and narrator) of the series, he had decided on casting West in the role, but he went ahead and did a screen test with Lyle Waggoner anyway.  Why?

"I knew from my experience with the networks that you have to give them a choice.  You can't just say, 'This is the guy.'  You say, 'Here are two guys.  We like them both, but we like one much better than the other.  We want you to see both.' ... But if you didn't give them another choice, they'd say, 'Can't you test someone else, too?'  So, that's the way their heads work and always have ... ."

Thus, my theory is that the TPIR producers had already settled on either Randy or Burton last fall, but either CBS forced them to audition all these other guys or they just decided to do so on their own, knowing how the network suits think.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2004, 09:50:16 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 01:46 PM\'] In reality it's pretty remarkable they found a perfect fit in Rod as soon as they did. [/quote]
 My mind is a bit hazy on this--was Rod doing PYL and TPiR concurrently or had PYL been cancelled by the time Rod got the full-time gig?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2004, 09:52:26 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 09:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 01:46 PM\'] In reality it's pretty remarkable they found a perfect fit in Rod as soon as they did. [/quote]
My mind is a bit hazy on this--was Rod doing PYL and TPiR concurrently or had PYL been cancelled by the time Rod got the full-time gig?

Doug [/quote]
 Rod's first episode as permanent TPIR announcer aired 2/17/86, while PYL's last episode aired on 9/26/86. Charlie O'Donnell filled in for Rod on PYL for two weeks in March or April 1986 IIRC.

uncamark

Thursday's (3/11) TPIR
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2004, 07:24:17 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 09:52 PM\'][quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 09:50 PM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 01:46 PM\'] In reality it's pretty remarkable they found a perfect fit in Rod as soon as they did. [/quote]

Doug [/quote]
Rod's first episode as permanent TPIR announcer aired 2/17/86, while PYL's last episode aired on 9/26/86. Charlie O'Donnell filled in for Rod on PYL for two weeks in March or April 1986 IIRC.[/quote]
And if "PYL" was taping on any other days than Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday ("TPIR" used to tape two shows a day on those days, IIRC), nothing was keeping Rod from doing that show, as well.  Seems to me that like a lot of shows, "PYL" usually taped on the weekend.