Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Regis or Meredith?  (Read 8069 times)

HYHYBT

Regis or Meredith?
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2004, 04:15:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Mar 3 2004, 01:09 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Mar 2 2004, 07:39 PM\'] And anyone who thinks I'm a troll is dead WRONG. W-R-O-N-G. (All 5 letters light up in orange) Chuck: YES! [/quote]
However, you are a Moron. M-O-R-O-N.

Regarding the original question; I enjoy Meridith more; simply because she doesn't have a red hot poker when she talks with the contestants. [/quote]
 Must've missed that episode.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

CJBojangles

Regis or Meredith?
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2004, 10:35:43 PM »
When it comes to hosts, I'd have to say Regis takes the cake. Or the pie, or what have you. Regis is the original, and no doubt the best. I like Regis because of the chemistry between himself and the New York crowd.

I do, however, love Meredith's fake-outs. It's hilarious to see the contestants hearts jump up into their throats for half a second as they think they've lost everything. It's wrong on my part to be laughing though, I guess, considering if I was the one in the hot seat being faked out I would probably have to change pants in the middle of the taping. :P

The Ol' Guy

Regis or Meredith?
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2004, 11:18:52 PM »
Both are fine in their respective arenas. Regis has the extra spark that the prime time edition needs, and Meredith's laid-back style makes her easier to take five days a week. Meredith would not be good for the network versions. I cringed when I first read Meredith would get the day job - it seemed too "pc" - but she's grown into it well. It comes from being a broadcast professional vs. just being a personality. The occasional hugs are a nice way to diffuse the emotional torment contestants go through in the hot seat. I'm glad it's working for her.

Jim

Regis or Meredith?
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2004, 06:24:13 PM »
Meredith can't hold a candle to Regis.  Meredith is not funny on her own - the show is only funny when a contestant says something and she giggles along, or offers an occasional wisecrack.  Finally, the one thing I can't stand about Meredith is her incessant agreeing with contestants who opine their questions or those of the person who preceded them were difficult.  If I hear one more, "Yeah, those were hard!" - it's zap with the remote.  No question below the $64K level is that difficult, yet you see people flunking out below $16, and Meredith is comiserating.  I would welcome a Bob Grant answer on occasion, like, "Well, it wasn't that hard a question, really.  You are just too stupid to know it."  Then turn to the camera and say, "See ladies and gentlemen, this is what happens when you pick contestants for their looks or personality rather than their brains.  Somebody's gotta say it, so why not me?"

carlopanno

Regis or Meredith?
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2004, 09:13:49 PM »
I like Meredith more than Regis. She seems more personable than Regis and may be easier to deal with. Regis has a kind of challenging attitude.

I have, however, had it up to here with Meredith's fakeouts where she gives the contestant the impression that it's All Over. Even worse was the time where she told some poor slob, "Well, you owe your parents $1000... and you have $1000. That was wrong." Then she threw a check at him and rushed him offstage before he could get his mouth closed again.

I didn't like that.

-C
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 09:15:27 PM by carlopanno »

adamjk

Regis or Meredith?
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2004, 09:29:52 PM »
I'm not gonna offer whether I like Regis or Meredith better, based on the fact that I've really not seen Meredith enough, to say whether she or Regis is better. However, I will offer to you, the reasons I like Regis.

1. He seems to bring out the best in contestants. Take Bob-o for example. Regis took what could have been an ordinary average contestant, into a guy who could be considered the contestant of the year.

2. He makes the contestants feel right at home. This sorta goes back to the first one, in that the contestants feel comfortable enough to crack jokes. Rare in a show as tense as this. This is a good thing to have. Especially, when a contestant wins say a half million, and yet can still joke around. It's good to have that stress relief every so often.

3. He teases the contestants, but not so much that it goes too far. I like the way he does it. From what I have I read about some of the other hosts, I don't think I would like having an answer come after say two commercial breaks. That's a little too much for me. But the way Regis does it, in my opinion is perfect. It's not too little teasing, but it's not overdone either.

4. He himself gets into the game too. I like the way his voice goes up when someone wins a ton of money as said before. He tries his best to help a contestant, and really wants them to win big.

Regis is great host, truly one of the best in the biz today.

uncamark

Regis or Meredith?
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2004, 07:13:55 PM »
[quote name=\'carlopanno\' date=\'Mar 14 2004, 09:13 PM\']I like Meredith more than Regis. She seems more personable than Regis and may be easier to deal with. Regis has a kind of challenging attitude.

I have, however, had it up to here with Meredith's fakeouts where she gives the contestant the impression that it's All Over. [/quote]
You probably would not love much those moments on the UK version where Chris Tarrant takes the previous check from the contestant's hand and tears it up before telling them that they're right.  Of course, he probably doesn't do that until his screen lights up with the answer that the contestant got right, but has he ever done that when a contestant is *wrong?*