Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Dick Clark Accused of Age Discrimination by Ralph  (Read 3755 times)

jrjgames

Dick Clark Accused of Age Discrimination by Ralph
« on: March 02, 2004, 10:04:14 AM »
Story #1
Dick Clark Accused of Age Discrimination by Ralph Andrews, Represented by The Davis-Maltin Law Firm

Lawsuit Alleges 'America's Oldest Teenager' Denied Long-Time Colleague and  

Successful Television Show Creator Ralph Andrews a Job Due to His Age

LOS ANGELES, March 1 /PRNewswire/ -- In a case filled with irony, that again places age discrimination at the center of Hollywood controversy, music and television superstar Dick Clark, 74, is accused of refusing to hire his long-time colleague, television show creator Ralph Andrews, 76, alleging he is too old.  In a letter to Andrews, Clark refers to both himself and Andrews as "dinosaurs" and states they filled vacant positions with a 27 year old and 30 year old, respectively.

The complaint filed in Los Angeles Superior Court Ralph Andrews v. Dick Clark Productions, Inc., Mosaic Media Group, Inc., (Case Number BC294647) argues that "Dick Clark Productions and Mosaic, through their agents and employees, discriminated against Mr. Andrews, harassed Mr. Andrews and treated him differently than other employees of Dick Clark Productions and applicants for positions at Dick Clark Productions because of Mr. Andrews' age."

According to the complaint, for more than one year Andrews was invited to meet with Clark and other executives at Dick Clark Productions and Mosaic Media Group about joining their company.  He was encouraged to keep in touch with company executives and was allegedly told he would be considered for any openings.

The lawsuit claims that one day, Andrews was told there were no positions available at Dick Clark Productions.  Shortly thereafter, however, a director of development position was vacant and subsequently filled.  Andrews wrote a note to Clark telling him he would consider accepting any position.  In a letter, Clark responded that he had no positions for Andrews simply because of his age.  Clark's letter states:

"It was good to hear from you, Ralph.  This is a tough letter to write, I have great respect and admiration for your accomplishments ...  The last development guy we hired was 27 years old.  Another person who is joining our staff next week is 30.  People our age are considered dinosaurs.  The business is being run by "the next generation."

"This blatantly violates the Fair Employment and Housing Act (California Government Code Sections 12900 et seq.) which makes it illegal for an employer and its agents to discriminate against a person who applies for a position based upon that person's age," said Phillip R. Maltin, an attorney in the Santa Monica office of The Davis-Maltin Law Firm that represents Ralph Andrews.

"I've known Dick for nearly 40 years.  He misled me to believe he would happily give me a job doing what I do best -- creating, developing or producing television shows," said Andrews.  "But then Dick tells me I'm too old.  I'm not too old.  In fact, if Dick's not too old, then why am I?"

Andrews, who has had a successful Hollywood career, is best known for creating and producing hit television shows that include: "I'll Bet," "Liars Club," "Celebrity Sweepstakes," "The Mickie Finn Show," "The Super Comedy Bowl," "You Don't Say," and several others.  "You Don't Say" was the most successful game show in NBC's history, achieving 40-plus shares for most of its seven years on the air.

Ironically, in 1997 The Family Channel brought back and updated Andrews' popular game show "It Takes Two."  It was Andrews' decision to hire Clark to host the show; Clark subsequently taped 30 episodes.

The lawsuit seeks punitive and general damages.  The Ralph Andrews v. Dick Clark Productions, Inc., Mosaic Media Group, Inc., complaint is now a part of the public record and copies can be obtained by calling Amy Goldsmith, public relations consultant for The Davis-Maltin Law Firm, at (310) 440-0646.

The Davis-Maltin Law Firm, LLP, is a Santa Monica-based firm specializing in employment and labor issues and business litigation.  With more than 25 years combined employment and trial experience, The Davis-Maltin Law Firm also offers human resources consulting.  The Davis-Maltin Law Firm, LLP is located at 1221 Second Street, Third Floor, Santa Monica, CA 90401.  The Firm's phone number is (310) 566-2088.  For more information, please visit the corporate Web site at www.DavisMaltin.com

SOURCE  The Davis-Maltin Law Firm, LLP
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 06:13:01 PM by chris319 »

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 12:33:52 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Mar 2 2004, 10:04 AM\']Andrews, who has had a successful Hollywood career, is best known for creating and producing hit television shows that include: "I'll Bet," "Liars Club," "Celebrity Sweepstakes," "The Mickie Finn Show," "The Super Comedy Bowl," "You Don't Say," and several others.  "You Don't Say" was the most successful game show in NBC's history, achieving 40-plus shares for most of its seven years on the air.[/quote]
[echo chamber] BACK THAT FACT! [echo chamber]

Ironically, in 1997 The Family Channel brought back and updated Andrews' popular game show "It Takes Two."  It was Andrews' decision to hire Clark to host the show; Clark subsequently taped 30 episodes.

Wait a minute--I thought that Andrews had sold the rights to his shows to that Mark Phillips guy, took the money and ran.  'Brian, you were an intern on "ITT"--did you ever see Andrews in the office or on the set?  (Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't choose Clark or suggest that Phillips hire Clark.)

bricon

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 02:41:39 PM »
Wait a minute--I thought that Andrews had sold the rights to his shows to that Mark Phillips guy, took the money and ran. 'Brian, you were an intern on "ITT"--did you ever see Andrews in the office or on the set? (Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that he didn't choose Clark or suggest that Phillips hire Clark.)

I am not *that* 'Brian, who was our researcher, rather than an intern, but I was there as coordinating producer.  Ralph and Mark Phillips did have several conversations during the development and production of It Takes Two.  He came to one taping as I recall (and some ATGS members in attendance were able to meet him).  He never came to the office, and to my memory was not involved in the selection of Dick Clark.  In fact, Dick was not at the top of the original selection list.  The original idea was to have *two* hosts, one to keep the game moving and one to be sort of a color commentator, who would be stationed by the game-long event taking place on the other part of the set.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 07:38:59 AM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Mar 3 2004, 02:41 PM\']
In fact, Dick was not at the top of the original selection list.  The original idea was to have *two* hosts, one to keep the game moving and one to be sort of a color commentator, who would be stationed by the game-long event taking place on the other part of the set.
In retrospect, that might have been better. Plus, if they were both unknowns, cheaper. :)

Mr. Edwards appeared on MSNBC's "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" Wednsday night 93/3) to discuss the case but didn't say much of consequence.

ObGeekery: Keith chose "It Takes Two" and "By the Numbers" to announce as Mr. Edwards' leading game-show credits instead of the higher-profile shows you'd think his generation would better remember, "You Don't Say!" and "Celebrity Sweepstakes." Surprising since Keith went out of his way to namecheck Bill Cullen in a story the other night on TPiR's 6000th show.
@lambertman

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 12:36:48 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 07:38 AM\'][Mr. Edwards appeared on MSNBC's "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" Wednsday night 93/3) to discuss the case but didn't say much of consequence.

ObGeekery: Keith chose "It Takes Two" and "By the Numbers" to announce as Mr. Edwards' leading game-show credits instead of the higher-profile shows you'd think his generation would better remember, "You Don't Say!" and "Celebrity Sweepstakes." Surprising since Keith went out of his way to namecheck Bill Cullen in a story the other night on TPiR's 6000th show.[/quote]
Mr. *Andrews.*  Oh well, Mr. Andrews is bald and so is Mr. Edwards when he takes his rug off.

At least you didn't call him Ralph *Williams,* as in the infamous LA car dealer Johnny Carson loved to make fun of (and parodied by the Firesign Theater in "Ralph Spoilsport Motors").

tommycharles

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 01:10:01 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 12:36 PM\']
Mr. *Andrews.*  Oh well, Mr. Andrews is bald and so is Mr. Edwards when he takes his rug off.

[/quote]
 Any hints as to which Mr. Edwards you're refering to? Geoff isn't bald, surely?

JMFabiano

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 02:20:40 PM »
I see we've been on our best behavior...no cracks about the irony of this situation yet....

J.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 06:11:52 PM »
John -

You can't be lifting wire stories lock, stock and barrel and posting them here. They're copyrighted, and as someone who aspires to develop and produce TV shows you should  know enough about copyright to know better than that. I'll leave the press release in but the AP story is gone.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 06:13:33 PM by chris319 »

AH3RD

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 12:33:31 PM »
[quote name=\'jrjgames\' date=\'Mar 2 2004, 10:04 AM\'] Story #1
Dick Clark Accused of Age Discrimination by Ralph Andrews, Represented by The Davis-Maltin Law Firm
[/quote]

Sure...as if Dick Clark hasn't been in the business that long himself?! What is the world of entertainment coming to?!

They are, in fact, close in age!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 12:25:14 PM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

GS Warehouse

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 01:22:51 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Mar 5 2004, 12:33 PM\'] Sure...as if Dick Clark hasn't been in the business that long himself?! What is the world of entertainment coming to?! [/quote]
 One septagerian suing another for being old = pot, kettle, black.

uncamark

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 02:38:58 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 01:10 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 12:36 PM\']
Mr. *Andrews.*  Oh well, Mr. Andrews is bald and so is Mr. Edwards when he takes his rug off.

[/quote]
Any hints as to which Mr. Edwards you're refering to? Geoff isn't bald, surely?[/quote]
*Ralph* Edwards, not *Geoff* Edwards.  Thought that was obvious.

scully24

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2004, 02:47:48 PM »
It's interesting, because obviously age plays a factor in many creative hiring decisions in the industry, however, rarely is it so blatantly expressed.

You can hire a 30-year-old over a more experienced 70-year-old candidate and say things like, "The person I hired had the sensibilities I was looking for, and I was convinced that they would be more successful in developing shows for the younger demographic," but you can't say you hired the person explicitly because of their age, because theoretically you could find a 70-year-old who is so immersed in pop culture that they too could be successful in programming for the desirable demographic.

The irony of the Dick Clark situation is that Dick is in the position of owner, and even though he runs the company, he's tacitly acknowledging that he might not be the best qualified to develop programming for today's market.  Or to put a more positive spin on it, maybe Dick would say that he himself represents the older sensibility, so in fillling a development position he is specifically looking for a youthful point-of-view to bring balance to the creative team.

In his letter, he should have acknowledged that while Ralph is clearly more than qualified to develop programming, they were looking specifically for someone with a more pop culture sensibility to balance their creative team.  Then he would have been sue-proof.  But obviously Dick never expected his "old friend" would sue him.

tommycharles

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2004, 03:15:06 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 5 2004, 02:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 01:10 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 12:36 PM\']
Mr. *Andrews.*  Oh well, Mr. Andrews is bald and so is Mr. Edwards when he takes his rug off.

[/quote]
Any hints as to which Mr. Edwards you're refering to? Geoff isn't bald, surely?[/quote]
*Ralph* Edwards, not *Geoff* Edwards.  Thought that was obvious. [/quote]
 My bad...for some reason I've never heard of Ralph Edwards.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2004, 06:58:14 PM »
It sounds so like the jilted desperate bride. Who knows what went on in those talks before Dick said "sorry"? If the best Ralph could offer was remaking You Don't Say and didn't bring anything new to the table, Dick would be hard pressed to hire someone whose productivity would be questionable. I agree with skully that Dick himself understands he has to be open to new avenues of creativity - not to mention that Dick himself probably presents very few ideas to 73-year-old guys at the networks. Youth appreciates youth. It's a shame Andrews chose to respond in this way. He's effectively driven - if you'll pardon the term - the nails in his coffin as far as most any other production company wanting to associate with him. If the Clark suit pays off, it better be enough to live on the rest of his life. It was a private, personal letter from Dick, not an L.A. Times interview, right? Andrews has now given himself the public branding of "dinosaur."

If any of you have seen the 1950s Rod Serling tv play/movie "Patterns", it's still painfully true today. Companies survive on productivity, not sentiment.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 07:00:34 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2004, 07:34:54 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 5 2004, 03:15 PM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 5 2004, 02:38 PM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 01:10 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 12:36 PM\']

[/quote]
*Ralph* Edwards, not *Geoff* Edwards.  Thought that was obvious. [/quote]
My bad...for some reason I've never heard of Ralph Edwards. [/quote]
 Well, Ralph Edwards Productions gave us "Bzzz," so at least his company remained on the cutting edge.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.