Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jackpots On Jackpot  (Read 2300 times)

Don Howard

Jackpots On Jackpot
« on: March 03, 2004, 09:31:07 AM »
To the best of your recollections, what was the highest jackpot reached on Jackpot in each of the three versions? Did the jackpot amount ever get so high that it passed the Super Jackpot? I recall some mid-1980s episodes where it got close.
Also, is there access to that Jackpot revival proposal submitted close to a year ago on the Ezboard area? I never got a good look at that. I made it to rule #37 or so and never checked back. Thanks.

zachhoran

Jackpots On Jackpot
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 09:42:10 AM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 3 2004, 09:31 AM\'] To the best of your recollections, what was the highest jackpot reached on Jackpot in each of the three versions? Did the jackpot amount ever get so high that it passed the Super Jackpot? I recall some mid-1980s episodes where it got close.
Also, is there access to that Jackpot revival proposal submitted close to a year ago on the Ezboard area? I never got a good look at that. I made it to rule #37 or so and never checked back. Thanks. [/quote]
 IN the USA version of Jackpot, where Super Jackpot values were pre-set between $4000-$9900, there were two or three occasions where the SJ was less than the $6K Jackpot. A post on Usenet says a Jackpot in the 1989 revival, thanks to a Double Dollars riddle being answered and two or three Jackpot riddle misses, a jackpot reached $9K. Geoff said it was the highest jackpot he had seen. I suppose there were Jackpots higher than the SJ in the 70s run, particularly if the randomizer landed on a low multiplier and/or targer number. It may have also happened later in the 70s run when they went to the format with multiple choice questions instead of riddles.

Ian Wallis

Jackpots On Jackpot
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 10:28:43 AM »
I suppose there were Jackpots higher than the SJ in the 70s run,

I remember watching one week where every time the Jackpot riddle was chosen it wasn't answered correctly.  The jackpot climed to over $7000.  Geoff even said, "if this keeps up we're going to have to build a 5-digit scoreboard!"

I can't remember what the Super Jackpot was at that time, but it was probably over $10,000.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

whewfan

Jackpots On Jackpot
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 01:15:12 PM »
Geoff told us at GSC8 that there was a $50k Super Jackpot offered one time. When it came time for the Super Jackpot riddle, the audience became rowdy when the riddle wasn't solved. Geoff said he was so scared he hid behind the bleachers :-)

dmota104

Jackpots On Jackpot
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 09:14:52 PM »
I seem to recall in the Mike Darrow version (airing on USA here in the states and Global in Canada) the normal jackpot climbed to $8000 and change.  IIRC, that jackpot went unclaimed for a couple of shows.

GameShowFan

Jackpots On Jackpot
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 11:52:48 PM »
A post on Usenet says a Jackpot in the 1989 revival, thanks to a Double Dollars riddle being answered and two or three Jackpot riddle misses, a jackpot reached $9K. Geoff said it was the highest jackpot he had seen.

A former colleague of mine was the man who actually hit that Jackpot. And remember, in that version, the Jackpot advanced ONLY on a correct response, which made the feat even more impressive.

'Brian

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Jackpots On Jackpot
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 02:07:01 AM »
A post on Usenet says a Jackpot in the 1989 revival, thanks to a Double Dollars riddle being answered and two or three Jackpot riddle misses, a jackpot reached $9K.[/QUOTE]
I think Zach has made his first error.
Kris Lane, via a clip on his website shows a $14,600 win.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 02:07:18 AM by Dsmith »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

zachhoran

Jackpots On Jackpot
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 06:44:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 02:07 AM\'] A post on Usenet says a Jackpot in the 1989 revival, thanks to a Double Dollars riddle being answered and two or three Jackpot riddle misses, a jackpot reached $9K.[/QUOTE]
I think Zach has made his first error.
Kris Lane, via a clip on his website shows a $14,600 win. [/QUOTE]
G-d knows I make errors on occasion :) I saw the clip(though I have no sound on my computer at this point). The Jackpot was at $640 in the clip, so I will presume the $14K win was a Super Jackpot! win.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 06:48:38 AM by zachhoran »

davemackey

Jackpots On Jackpot
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 06:46:18 AM »
The Super Jackpot on the original version automatically bumped up to $50,000 if the target number was 995 and the multiplier was 50. I was told by a sixth-grade classmate who was home sick from school one day that this indeed happened once.

That Don Guy

Jackpots On Jackpot
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 12:47:40 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Mar 4 2004, 06:46 AM\'] The Super Jackpot on the original version automatically bumped up to $50,000 if the target number was 995 and the multiplier was 50. I was told by a sixth-grade classmate who was home sick from school one day that this indeed happened once. [/quote]
It could also happen if the board malfunctioned and the multiplier got set at 55 (this did happen at least once, and the first time it happened, S&P told them to play on with the high multiplier).

I know this has been asked before (and something tells me I'm one of the people who asked it), but has it ever been established what the highest Super Jackpot won was?  The biggest win I remember was $38,000 or so.

(And yes, quite often on the NBC version, Super Jackpots were set that were smaller than the Jackpot at the time.)

-- Don