The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

GSN to revive Split Second

<< < (5/17) > >>

Clay Zambo:

--- Quote from: SuperMatch93 on February 28, 2023, 11:14:43 AM ---I heard from someone who's going to be a contestant that the options show up at the same time as the question, but you can’t answer until all are read.

--- End quote ---

Well, that seems to work well enough for JEOPARDY!, so I'm still hopeful this will be fun.

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: clemon79 on February 28, 2023, 01:29:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: SuperMatch93 on February 28, 2023, 11:14:43 AM ---I heard from someone who's going to be a contestant that the options show up at the same time as the question, but you can’t answer until all are read.

--- End quote ---

So the question is going to be displayed on-screen, and no anticipatory buzzing, thereby allowing players to think about it instead of needing to answer in a...split second.

Hard pass.

--- End quote ---
I’ve noticed GSN shows tend to spell everything out to the viewers, as if they can’t simply grasp how things work. It won’t stop me from watching, but I wonder if this factored into the decision?

gamed121683:

--- Quote from: clemon79 on February 28, 2023, 01:29:12 PM ---

--- End quote ---

So the question is going to be displayed on-screen, and no anticipatory buzzing, thereby allowing players to think about it instead of needing to answer in a...split second.

Hard pass.

--- End quote ---

In other words (unless I’m missing something here), we’re playing by the Monty Hall rules?

clemon79:

--- Quote from: gamed121683 on February 28, 2023, 03:06:46 PM ---In other words (unless I’m missing something here), we’re playing by the Monty Hall rules?

--- End quote ---

Even worse. On top of all of that, they can read ahead of the host, so the buzzer battle is effectively a reflex test, much like Jeopardy.

Matt Ottinger:
While a lot of us here (absolutely including me) have a fondness for games in which a contestant anticipates the answer (also see: Sale of the Century), I'm sure researchers and focus groups and whatever other homogenizing forces have convinced producers that the average viewer does not.  I'm afraid that a lot of brilliant original formats of the 70s wouldn't fly today because TPTB have decided that they're too challenging for their audience to follow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version