The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

GSN to revive Split Second

<< < (13/17) > >>

tvwxman:
Meh.

It's done backwards! The essence of buzzing in first on Kennedy's version was that you saw the three parts first and then tried to anticipate the question.  Here, everyone just buzzes in and they announce who was first.....it takes a lot of the challenge out of it.

Brig Bother:
The scoring is silly if you're not converting points to dollars, all three getting a question right holds no value effectively, unless I've missed something and the Countdown round scores are score rather than position dependent.

I appreciate the pace though. And I like the material, but yes the actual buzz-in element feels like a lottery.

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: Brig Bother on April 17, 2023, 07:45:12 AM ---The scoring is silly if you're not converting points to dollars, all three getting a question right holds no value effectively, unless I've missed something and the Countdown round scores are score rather than position dependent.

--- End quote ---
I get what you mean, but it would be odd to have a frequent situation where right answers are not rewarded. Somebody who tunes in late can tell how the players as a group  are doing by looking at the score line but if everybody right splits a pie of zero points that same late viewer won’t get the complete picture.

Clay Zambo:
A couple thoughts after seeing the preview:

I *really* liked the opening moment: JM enters, pick up your buzzers, here we go..."and that's how we play Split Second."

I appreciated the set being in oranges and reds.

It seems odd to play for points to determine order in the Countdown Round, but whatever, it's their money.

I *don't* find the format to be "broken." I get that there's no buzzing before the question is finished, but that rule has been okay for 30-something years on Jeopardy. From where I sit, the format is "three part questions, value determined by how many people answer correctly; repeat, doubling the values; Countdown Round where you can answer 1, 2, or 3 parts, first to zero wins."

Having a bonus game that has *something* to do with the main game is, well, a bonus.

I'm thrilled to see this format back on the air.

But for Goodson's sake, get JM a chiropractor for the pain he's incurring holding that dang iPad.

colonial:
Saw the premiere and the "preview" episode GSN posted on YT.

I didn't have any issues with it -- moved quickly with plenty of content. Loved the set with the "stopwatch" theme but, as others noted, JMH's lectern seemed a tad on the small side.

The bonus game offers more of a challenge than the "pick a screen and hope three match" offering from the Monty version.

Did find it peculiar that if a player misses a question, said question is ruled dead and the answer is revealed, but it's not something to get upset about.

I tried holding my iPad the "JMH Way" and promptly dropped it on my foot :) . Seriously, Higgins is a strong host who's made healthy strides since his early episodes of "America Says," where he was more of an actor playing a role. 

I understand those who remember the Kennedy and Hall version may have their issues with GSN's take on the format, but it's something I'd watch regularly.

JD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version