The Game Show Forum > Game Show Channels & Networks

GSN to revive Split Second

<< < (14/17) > >>

BillCullen1:

--- Quote from: colonial on April 18, 2023, 10:15:12 AM ---Saw the premiere and the "preview" episode GSN posted on YT.

I tried holding my iPad the "JMH Way" and promptly dropped it on my foot :) . Seriously, Higgins is a strong host who's made healthy strides since his early episodes of "America Says," where he was more of an actor playing a role. 

I understand those who remember the Kennedy and Hall version may have their issues with GSN's take on the format, but it's something I'd watch regularly.

JD

--- End quote ---

Totally agree. If it gets a second season (crosses fingers), they might resolve the iPad and podium issues. I feel GSN did a good job here.

Jeremy Nelson:

--- Quote from: Clay Zambo on April 17, 2023, 07:12:05 PM ---It seems odd to play for points to determine order in the Countdown Round, but whatever, it's their money.

--- End quote ---
Seen this comment on here a couple of times- I don't really sense a difference in points vs dollars as far as that being the determinant. Besides, every other GSN show is $1,000 for the winner, nothing for the losers, so it's pretty on brand.

--- Quote from: tvwxman on April 17, 2023, 07:33:40 AM ---The essence of buzzing in first on Kennedy's version was that you saw the three parts first and then tried to anticipate the question.  Here, everyone just buzzes in and they announce who was first.....it takes a lot of the challenge out of it.

--- End quote ---
GSN has taken the Jeopardy '85 route with their original programming- if the people can't follow, they won't watch. Notice that every original can be followed without sound; doesn't matter if you're deaf, waiting for your oil change or getting day drunk at a Hyatt Regency bar, GSN has you covered. Even Jeopardy requires some closed caption assistance for confirmation of the correct response. Playing Split Second as it was in 1972 doesn't align with the network template.

Dbacksfan12:

--- Quote from: Jeremy Nelson on April 18, 2023, 02:20:44 PM ---Besides, every other GSN show is $1,000 for the winner, nothing for the losers
--- End quote ---
I don’t quite understand this trend.  What’s wrong with throwing the losers a couple hundred bucks?

Joe Mello:
I'd like the endgame to have a little more leeway. Semi-related: I feel like a variant People Puzzler end game feels appropriate for Split Second. The rest of it the game is good enough mechanically.

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on April 19, 2023, 01:40:51 PM --- What’s wrong with throwing the losers a couple hundred bucks?
--- End quote ---
It's an extra expense that adds up to tens of thousands of dollars over a season.

Sodboy13:

--- Quote from: Joe Mello on April 19, 2023, 08:33:40 PM ---I'd like the endgame to have a little more leeway. Semi-related: I feel like a variant People Puzzler end game feels appropriate for Split Second. The rest of it the game is good enough mechanically.

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on April 19, 2023, 01:40:51 PM --- What’s wrong with throwing the losers a couple hundred bucks?
--- End quote ---
It's an extra expense that adds up to tens of thousands of dollars over a season.

--- End quote ---

Right, and there are ways to account for that in your game budget, but that requires thought and planning GSN is not interested in doing, because they have their set number for each and every show and their proven way to get to it.

Back when game shows were up and down three networks' daytime schedules, I'm sure a lot of of them offered the same prize, probably $5,000. But if a bunch of them on one network were all offering the same way to get there and the exact same amount for a front game win, well, it would seem a bit derivative at some point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version