Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Is TPIR Getting Good again?  (Read 4306 times)

Skynet74

Is TPIR Getting Good again?
« on: March 08, 2004, 01:32:35 PM »
There was a time when I felt that The Price is Right was getting sluggish and boring. Today when I tuned in I actually felt like it was all good again. Not good in the old classic way, but Good in a new revived way. That announcer Rich was good and the Beauties seemed to work out well. Bob even seemed to have more of a personality on todays show as he referred to how a contestant once bid $9,000 on a Surf Board. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that the show is in a comfortable place again. At least that's how I felt when watching today.

John

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2004, 02:19:40 PM »
I did too...strangely it was during the period of 96-99 or so.

TPIR is a changing show. Sure, the "family" atmosphere is gone,  and some things look different, but in general, the show is still the same as it was in 1972. I also think that a show that has been on that long is bound to go through it's peaks and valleys. Right now, IMHO, is a peak.

Enjoy it!
insert signature here

CJBojangles

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2004, 08:17:56 PM »
The show's energy has really been a day by day thing as of late. Some days, one feels really in tune with that spirit that TPiR gives us. Other days, the show seems like it's lacking something.

I do agree though that this season the show has picked up it's "boring" 96-99 reputation and is moving somewhere up into the "fun and interesting, somewhat exciting" bracket. ;) Maybe the show is returning "to normal".

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2004, 11:41:13 PM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 08:17 PM\'] The show's energy has really been a day by day thing as of late. Some days, one feels really in tune with that spirit that TPiR gives us. Other days, the show seems like it's lacking something.

I do agree though that this season the show has picked up it's "boring" 96-99 reputation and is moving somewhere up into the "fun and interesting, somewhat exciting" bracket. ;) Maybe the show is returning "to normal". [/quote]
 Not that this is a diss on Rod, but I think the new announcers has brought a nice change of pace to the show, a breath of fresh air. I mean, 18 years is a long time to announce the same show, and with his declining health, I think that might've taken a lot out of the show, enthusiasm-wise. The new voices, mainly Randy W. and Rich F. have brought some more flavor back to the show. Now, if only they'd find a way to bring back Claudia. :-)

ObProduction: I might be the only one who notices this, but I love the way they show the contestant's post-game reactions now, or when they walk off-stage, instead of still shots, like with today's CoverUp winner. It adds an old-school game show feeling for me. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

AH3RD

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 12:19:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 01:32 PM\'] There was a time when I felt that The Price is Right was getting sluggish and boring. Today when I tuned in I actually felt like it was all good again. Not good in the old classic way, but Good in a new revived way. That announcer Rich was good and the Beauties seemed to work out well. Bob even seemed to have more of a personality on todays show as he referred to how a contestant once bid $9,000 on a Surf Board. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that the show is in a comfortable place again. At least that's how I felt when watching today.

John [/quote]
I sure felt sorry for Katherine on yesterday's show. First she was eligible for a new car...but was doomed to lose from the start when The Card Game---yes, dear readers, TPIR's eternally unwinnable Pricing Game---was wheeled out. She never stood a chance.

And if this wasn't harrowing enough, when her turn came to spin The Big Wheel, she came up with a dime! $0.05 twice!!!

Needless to say, poor Kat just couldn't catch a break.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 12:20:58 PM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 01:48:53 PM »
I don't see how "Card Game" is eternally unwinnable.  In fact, as long as someone draws a $1,000; $1,500; or $2,000 bid card, there's no reason the person should lose, since you can only increase the bid by $1,000 steps at most, until you draw an Ace.

If you have a decent idea of the price of the car, and draw one of the 75% of cards I mentioned, it should be easy.

All TPIR games can be won.  Some are harder than others.  "Card Game" is played for a car, for crying out loud.  It should be hard.

Travis Eberle
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 02:02:25 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 11:48 AM\'] If you have a decent idea of the price of the car, and draw one of the 75% of cards I mentioned, it should be easy.
 [/quote]
 ...if you know the price of the car.

And if you know the price of the car, "Temptation" and "That's Too Much" should be easy, too.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 02:08:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 02:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 11:48 AM\'] If you have a decent idea of the price of the car, and draw one of the 75% of cards I mentioned, it should be easy.
 [/quote]
...if you know the price of the car.

And if you know the price of the car, "Temptation" and "That's Too Much" should be easy, too. [/quote]
 And "One Away", which is probably my second least favourite pricing game (after any number) because the odds are so well stacked against you. But our version looks pretty good compared to the SIX DIGIT One Away that the Mexican version uses.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 07:09:13 PM »
[quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 12:19 PM\'] First she was eligible for a new car...but was doomed to lose from the start when The Card Game---yes, dear readers, TPIR's eternally unwinnable Pricing Game---was wheeled out. She never stood a chance. [/quote]
 So it's the show's fault that she didn't have the slightest clue of how much a Focus costs?

You need to rethink this, my friend.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 07:13:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 07:09 PM\'] [quote name=\'AH3RD\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 12:19 PM\'] First she was eligible for a new car...but was doomed to lose from the start when The Card Game---yes, dear readers, TPIR's eternally unwinnable Pricing Game---was wheeled out. She never stood a chance. [/quote]
So it's the show's fault that she didn't have the slightest clue of how much a Focus costs?

You need to rethink this, my friend. [/quote]
 Yeah, just like it was the shows fault when that idiot bid $9,000 on that pair of surfboards.

Moving on...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 08:23:52 PM »
Am I the only one who sees patterns in car prices--at least, TPIR car prices? I'm not just talking about ending in 0 or 5, either. For example, doubled digits seem to be rare, and after 0 and 5, 2 seems to be the most popular last digit, especially for more expensive cars.

One Away's odds are a lot better when you know that the price is $1_,__5, and both the third and fourth digits aren't going to be 4.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 08:40:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 08:23 PM\'] Am I the only one who sees patterns in car prices--at least, TPIR car prices? I'm not just talking about ending in 0 or 5, either. For example, doubled digits seem to be rare, and after 0 and 5, 2 seems to be the most popular last digit, especially for more expensive cars.
 [/quote]
 Someone brought up the fact that during Money Game, most of the time the last 2 digits are one of the lowest numbers divisible by 5. I noticed that the "rule" carried over to Cover-Up yesterday; the last two numbers were "25."
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 08:53:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' date=\'Mar 9 2004, 08:23 PM\'] Am I the only one who sees patterns in car prices--at least, TPIR car prices? [/quote]
 Oh, absolutely not.  There's tons of tricks if you know where to look for them.  In fact, I'll tell you right now why so many cars end in 2 or 7:  paint sealant & fabric protectant.  That option happens to have a strange price.

Similarly, there was a car sometime last week that ended in 3; we think that was because of some option whose name involved the word "armor."

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 11:15:22 PM »
and things just keep getting better...more primetime specials to be taped next month. (let's hope there's no dual theme this time)
insert signature here

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 05:13:12 AM »
That's nothing.  I sometimes see a car price ending in a 1.  Maybe it was a pickup or something, but prices ending with a 1 is IMO the WORST possible situation there is without regards for repeating digits.