Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ignored items grabbed on Supermarket Sweep  (Read 6360 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Ignored items grabbed on Supermarket Sweep
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2004, 03:58:27 AM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 05:41 AM\'] Mahatma rice, dog food, feminine hygiene products (mentioned in the current shows for the first time in the show's long history) [/quote]
 Were said products even included in the original run?  I don't recall seeing them on the Lifetime version...and though perhaps having an announcer speak of them was too taboo for 1990...
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tvrandywest

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2004, 07:53:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Mar 14 2004, 12:58 AM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 13 2004, 05:41 AM\'] Mahatma rice, dog food, feminine hygiene products (mentioned in the current shows for the first time in the show's long history) [/quote]
Were said products even included in the original run?  I don't recall seeing them on the Lifetime version...and though perhaps having an announcer speak of them was too taboo for 1990... [/quote]
As for the original run, those shows were taped in real Food Fair stores on the East coast. Pardon my ignorance about matters gynocological circa 1960s, but if these products were in supermarkets then, they were on the Food Fair shelves.

I got the impression from Al Howard that the practice of writing around that action ("Betty continues her shopping spree to the sound of her partner's cheers from the checkstand...") had been a tradition for many years, at least long enough to date to the Lifetime run. But that's only an educated guess.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: March 14, 2004, 11:01:11 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

adamjk

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2004, 02:41:13 PM »
Just out of curiosity Randy, is there even a remote chance, that the show could come back in syndication or something?

zachhoran

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2004, 02:44:03 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Mar 14 2004, 02:41 PM\'] Just out of curiosity Randy, is there even a remote chance, that the show could come back in syndication or something? [/quote]
 Al Howard did reportedly try to shop it around to another cable network(but it wasn't GSN0 shortly after PAX pulled the plug. As far as Sweep going into syndication, reruns of it and Shop Till You Drop from the Lifetime years aired on a few stations in syndication circa 1995, but ratings were not good.

tvrandywest

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2004, 03:52:16 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Mar 14 2004, 11:41 AM\'] Just out of curiosity Randy, is there even a remote chance, that the show could come back in syndication or something? [/quote]
 The last time I got an update on the show's status the format was available to any network, syndicator or cable channel willing to make a deal to produce new episodes with sole proprietor Al Howard. It is being handled by one of the mega-agencies in town that specialize in selling and packaging shows.

I'm not sure if and/or when the rerun rights to the PAX and Lifetime seasons revert to Al, and I question the viability of those shows. But then nobody dreamed there'd be an afterlife to all those GT shows. And I was reminded yesterday that even reruns of "Face The Music" were sold to cable in the 90s! Good lord!

Until this present season I never would have said "network" in that first sentence, but after seeing some of what's on, and some of what's on its way, I think "Sweep", by comparison, is looking more and more like a PBS show!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

byrd62

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2004, 05:13:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 14 2004, 03:52 PM\'] Until this present season I never would have said "network" in that first sentence, but after seeing some of what's on, and some of what's on its way, I think "Sweep", by comparison, is looking more and more like a PBS show!
 [/quote]
 Good one, Randy.  LOL.

ChuckNet

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2004, 05:37:44 PM »
And I was reminded yesterday that even reruns of "Face The Music" were sold to cable in the 90s! Good lord!

Oh, trust me, that show had its loyal fans. :-)

Chuck Donegan (The Shameless "Chuckie Baby")

Terry K

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2004, 03:44:14 AM »
How about we get some GS fans together, and get Dave and Randy to join us at say, Ralphs (Ralphs bought the Hughes stores that the Lifetime Sweep shows modeled their market after..its funny to see the Hughes carts with the big H on them and Ralphs labling on them [as seen at the Beverly Hills Ralphs, btw]) and do our own version of Sweep?  Maybe Al Howard needs to pitch that to the big 3 chains as a way to get people back in the stores...SuperMarket Sweep LIVE has a nice ring to it.