Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: CTV's Battle of the Generations premieres June 19th  (Read 3033 times)

nowhammies10

CTV's Battle of the Generations premieres June 19th
« on: June 07, 2023, 10:11:48 AM »
No, this isn't Generation Gap by another name.

https://www.ctv.ca/shows/battle-of-the-generations

On each show, Lilly Singh hosts a pop culture trivia showdown between one member each of the Baby Boomers, Gen X, Millennials, and Gen Z, for up to $25,000 in tax-free cash. Twenty episodes were produced, to air weekly, Mondays at 9:00 p.m.

If you were watching the 24-Hour Game Show Marathon this past weekend, then a certain Canadian will be familiar to you on one of the episodes.

Matt Ottinger

Re: CTV's Battle of the Generations premieres June 19th
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 10:48:28 AM »
I am apparently not young and hip enough to be overly familiar with Lilly Singh's work, but I am thoroughly enjoying her as the human star of The Muppets Mayhem.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 11:01:21 AM »
All I know about Lilly is that she started out on YouTube and then had a show that replaced “Last Call with Carson Daly”. Oh and someone got annoyed because she was a celebrity guest on TPiR at Night.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 11:29:20 AM »
Sounds like the Aussie show Talkin' About Your Generation from 15 years ago.  Hopefully this is half as good.

nowhammies10

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 12:46:26 PM »
Sounds like the Aussie show Talkin' About Your Generation from 15 years ago.  Hopefully this is half as good.

From what I read of the Aussie show (and caveat: I've never seen an episode), it seems like that was played more for laughs. CTV's Battle is played a little more seriously.

SwohS Emag

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2023, 04:04:47 PM »
I caught the premiere of this.  It's perfectly fine and would fit in well with afternoon quiz fare in the UK.  I don't know what the appetite for network primetime in Canada is like, but it doesn't seem like a primetime program.  Pretty long-winded quiz to build a bank ("the vault") and whittle four generational representatives down to a winner.  Winner plays a bonus round (answer three questions from one of the four generations within two minutes) to win the vault value, and then option for $25K-or-nothing on a final question.

I have a copy of the recording that I would be happy to share with you privately (PM) if someone is able to share it.

nowhammies10

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2023, 06:45:24 PM »
I have a copy of the recording that I would be happy to share with you privately (PM) if someone is able to share it.

If you wouldn't mind recording the series (there are 7 more including this coming Monday, then another 12 TBD), I'm happy to host it on my Drive.

SwohS Emag

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 07:45:26 PM »

If you wouldn't mind recording the series (there are 7 more including this coming Monday, then another 12 TBD), I'm happy to host it on my Drive.

I will PM you!