The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

$ale of the Century discussion

(1/16) > >>

jlgarfield:
Hi - the only reason I'm starting a new thread is because, well, bumping older ones is bad form.
-----
I've been thinking a lot about the 1980s $ale of the Century on NBC. I've heard lots of things regarding the status of the pre-July 1988 NBC eps, and I don't want to open a can of worms, but, at best, they are MIA; however, like what we saw regarding the syndie 1970s Hollywood Squares eps and the original CBS The Joker's Wild, you never know if they will turn up.

Anyway, quite a few early eps of the show have turned up lately (namely Mort Kamins' run for the lot in March of '83, and one ep from January 1984), and this is second-hand info from the commenters, but the first lot winner of that incarnation of $ale, ever, (before the cash jackpot was put in place) was a guy named Michael Todaro.

It also made me wonder, since Mort's first ep concided with the debut of Lee Menning; did they even acknowledge Sally's departure on the last show? I guess we'll never know.

TLEberle:
I imagine Jim did a cursuory “wish her well in her future endeavors”.

chrisholland03:

--- Quote from: TLEberle on June 25, 2023, 07:51:58 PM ---I imagine Jim did a cursuory “wish her well in her future endeavors”.

--- End quote ---

With validated parking and a return trip to Mars

jlgarfield:
I should mention the only info I have about Michael Todaro is that he participated in the first $ale Tournament of Champions, going up against Fran Wolfe and Helen Durvall (an early lot winner). Fran won that heat, facing off against Mort Kamins and Cathy Powers.

calliaume:

--- Quote from: TLEberle on June 25, 2023, 07:51:58 PM ---I imagine Jim did a cursuory “wish her well in her future endeavors”.

--- End quote ---
I wouldn’t be surprised if she wasn’t mentioned at all.

I do have a very vague memory of when Joe Garagiola replaced Jack Kelly in 1971 (I would have been eight years old)—I don’t think it was anything more than “And here’s our new host, Joe Garagiola!”

EDIT: This appears to be Lee Menning's first episode, and Sally is not mentioned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version