The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

$ale of the Century discussion

<< < (3/16) > >>

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: jlgarfield on July 05, 2023, 02:37:10 AM ---^ Wait, what?! That's news to me.

--- End quote ---
yup. He was on (I believe) Split Second, Three for the Money, Double Dare and then Sale. DD put him over the bag limit and he left one of the predecessors off when he filled out that section of the application form and thus eventually missed out on an $83,000 cash jackpot.

SuperMatch93:
Here's the court document for Winston v. NBC if anyone's curious.

https://law.justia.com/cases/california/court-of-appeal/3d/231/540.html

Blanquepage:
I'm assuming NBC ultimately did away with that "three game shows in one lifetime" stipulation that same decade?
Chou Chou Grant immediately comes to mind with her $ale appearance in '88, after having already appeared on TJW, PW+, and $100K Pyramid.

jlgarfield:
A post from a long time ago had one of our members get Helen's $ale pin.

chris319:
From that document we get an interesting glimpse into the economics of daytime network TV in November, 1983.

It cost NBC $137,410 to produce 7 shows, or $19,630 per show, or $98,150 per week.

With six commercial minutes per show $3,272 per minute of commercial time was the breakeven point. This works out to $1,636 for 12 30-second spots.

An NBC executive once revealed to me that a typical game show cost approximately $120,000 per week. This figure is very close to the $98,150 figure calculated above.

That's just the cost side of the equation. We don't know what NBC collected in ad revenue at the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version