The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

$ale of the Century discussion

<< < (5/16) > >>

snowpeck:
Michael Todaro's article.

Part 1 and Part 2 of Cathy Powers' article.

jlgarfield:
^ So, based on the article, Todaro's winning show was on January 26, 1983, not quite a month into the show's run; Powers won on February 4th.

There's been an early 1983 ep of $ale on YouTube for a decade, and based on all this new information, said ep's OAD was 1/31/1983.

rebelwrest:

--- Quote from: jlgarfield on July 07, 2023, 04:38:28 PM ---

From Mort Kamins' recording of the 1983 $ale Tournament of Champions, the field for it. As stated in the image, I am not sure which lady on the top (left or right) is Helen Durvall, and the name of the last participant (also a female) is unknown.

--- End quote ---

IIRC, and the episode isn't up on YouTube anymore, there was one participant in the tournament who wasn't in that photo.  Wasn't there a black man by the name of Michael who participate? Probably was the replacement for Ray Winston when he was declared ineligible.

Bill Neuweiler:
So I've had a question about the early run, during Mort's games Jim Perry mentioned that the car came with enough cash to round the total out to $95,000.   95K seemed like an oddly specific number to me, like why not 100K at that point?   I'm just curious if anyone knows was there a reason for that specific amount, perhaps some network rule at the time, or was it influenced by budget?  or did the producer just like the number 95? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

jlgarfield:

--- Quote from: jlgarfield on July 07, 2023, 04:38:28 PM ---

From Mort Kamins' recording of the 1983 $ale Tournament of Champions, the field for it. As stated in the image, I am not sure which lady on the top (left or right) is Helen Durvall, and the name of the last participant (also a female) is unknown.

--- End quote ---

I will say this: Michael looks like a bearded John Ritter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version