The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

$ale of the Century discussion

<< < (6/16) > >>

Neumms:
This struck me as I read the article that called $ale "NBC's hottest new game show." Were ratings sinking when the winner's board premiered? Did it make them go up? And did a drop in ratings prompt the Winner's Big Money Game? Both changes were brought on by the network, right?

SuperMatch93:

--- Quote from: Neumms on August 17, 2023, 05:25:40 PM ---This struck me as I read the article that called $ale "NBC's hottest new game show." Were ratings sinking when the winner's board premiered? Did it make them go up? And did a drop in ratings prompt the Winner's Big Money Game? Both changes were brought on by the network, right?

--- End quote ---

The WBMG was prompted by a mandate from NBC that each of their games have a proper bonus round.

Strikerz04:

--- Quote from: Bill Neuweiler on August 17, 2023, 12:07:07 PM ---So I've had a question about the early run, during Mort's games Jim Perry mentioned that the car came with enough cash to round the total out to $95,000.   95K seemed like an oddly specific number to me, like why not 100K at that point?   I'm just curious if anyone knows was there a reason for that specific amount, perhaps some network rule at the time, or was it influenced by budget?  or did the producer just like the number 95? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

--- End quote ---

Tax Brackets?

I mean 95k was plenty of money back then, as so was 64k when the Australians did it in 1980. Vincent Smith won $73k-odd a month after the show premiered (the Mercedes was already $36,000 to start with).

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: Neumms on August 17, 2023, 05:25:40 PM ---This struck me as I read the article that called $ale "NBC's hottest new game show." Were ratings sinking when the winner's board premiered? Did it make them go up? And did a drop in ratings prompt the Winner's Big Money Game? Both changes were brought on by the network, right?

--- End quote ---
my recollection/understanding was that somebody (the producers? The network?) wanted a final act that wasn’t just meandering about then the final decision. The board brought a different problem—everything that wasn’t cash or car came off as a door prize by comparison, and the trips are largely domestic or in The Americas.

I believe Australia changed to the board around this time, but they had bigger prizes generally, plus you risk your boodle every night till you win the bonanza, tap out or lose.

jlgarfield:

--- End quote ---

For a good portion of its run on NBC, $ale was in a hot competition with Press Your Luck on CBS, but $ale won out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version