The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

$ale of the Century discussion

<< < (8/16) > >>

PYLdude:

--- Quote from: danderson on August 20, 2023, 03:56:51 PM ---You can tell the 3 strongest shows for NBC were Wheel Of Fortune,Days of Our Lives and Another World, because they were cleared by 99 percent of the stations. I wonder if that a big difference in the ratings.

--- End quote ---

Well, if they were cleared by that many stations, I would say you just answered your own question.

tyshaun1:

--- Quote from: Ian Wallis on August 19, 2023, 10:52:27 AM ---
Interesting notes on this:

It looks as if Press Your Luck was just slightly beating Sale of the Century at this time, but if Sale had the same no. of stations it likely would have been ahead.

--- End quote ---
Not entirely true. If you look at the coverage percents, even though PYL has more stations, it had less coverage than $ale. Most likely because Press was cleared on more smaller market stations than $ale. For instance, I grew up in the Louisville market and PYL was never cleared for its entire run, whereas $ale ran at 10:30 on its NBC affiliate from the beginning. Tampa (where I live now) was similar, they cleared PYL from September 85 to January 86. I think that's why Republic tried to pimp out those reruns in 1987, since there were many instances of this across the country with the larger markets.

Neumms:

--- Quote from: SuperMatch93 on August 17, 2023, 05:53:57 PM ---The WBMG was prompted by a mandate from NBC that each of their games have a proper bonus round.

--- End quote ---

That's what I've always heard, I was just curious what prompted the mandate since it only affected one show. Maybe a new muckily-muck took over daytime.

TLEberle:
Another thing is that Sale was blowing out cash jackpots. Now it’s hidden behind eleven wins plus risking a car and $13,000, and all of those prizes that are given a signal blast every day. This when couple with Scrabble chainsawing $15,500 off their grand prize adds up.

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: Neumms on August 23, 2023, 12:59:52 PM ---That's what I've always heard, I was just curious what prompted the mandate since it only affected one show. Maybe a new muckily-muck took over daytime.

--- End quote ---
Scrabble too, although I think the Bonus Sprint came about a year or two after the Winner's Board.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version