The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

$ale of the Century discussion

<< < (9/16) > >>

chrisholland03:
To realign - are we talking WBMG or are we talking Winner's Board? 

Winners Board appeared in late '84 and WBMG appeared in late '87. 

Travis is correct - the Winners Board was driven primarily to differentiate the daytime show from the upcoming syndicated shows, and to eliminate the relatively frequent payout of the cash jackpot.  For every lot winner during the daytime shopping era, they had 2 more contestants that bought the cash jackpot and walked.  It was an unintended consequence of the speed round.

WBMG was from an NBC edict that every show have a true bonus round.

BrandonFG:
My bad. For some reason I thought the Board was the result of the edict, but WBMG makes more sense.

/So now the Bonus Sprint would happen a year earlier, not later than $ale

vtown7:

--- Quote from: chrisholland03 on August 23, 2023, 08:21:51 PM ---Travis is correct - the Winners Board was driven primarily to differentiate the daytime show from the upcoming syndicated shows, and to eliminate the relatively frequent payout of the cash jackpot.  For every lot winner during the daytime shopping era, they had 2 more contestants that bought the cash jackpot and walked.  It was an unintended consequence of the speed round.

--- End quote ---

I am still convinced all these years later that the Syndicated shopping era with its cash jackpot only at the lot level was the definitive $ale format.  Would love for this to come back one day in this format.

R.

chrisholland03:

--- Quote from: vtown7 on August 24, 2023, 07:56:27 AM ---
--- Quote from: chrisholland03 on August 23, 2023, 08:21:51 PM ---Travis is correct - the Winners Board was driven primarily to differentiate the daytime show from the upcoming syndicated shows, and to eliminate the relatively frequent payout of the cash jackpot.  For every lot winner during the daytime shopping era, they had 2 more contestants that bought the cash jackpot and walked.  It was an unintended consequence of the speed round.

--- End quote ---

I am still convinced all these years later that the Syndicated shopping era with its cash jackpot only at the lot level was the definitive $ale format.  Would love for this to come back one day in this format.

R.

--- End quote ---

I agree wholeheartedly.  It was true to the original format, resolved the cash jackpot dilemma, and put the pacing of a lot win in the hands of the contestants (Alice Conkright).

tvmitch:

--- Quote from: chrisholland03 on August 24, 2023, 10:09:47 AM ---
--- Quote from: vtown7 on August 24, 2023, 07:56:27 AM ---

--- End quote ---

R.

--- End quote ---

I agree wholeheartedly.  It was true to the original format, resolved the cash jackpot dilemma, and put the pacing of a lot win in the hands of the contestants (Alice Conkright).

--- End quote ---
I'll add that I loved the addition of a bonus round to Temptation (Australia), where the contestant had to earn their way towards a large cash pot. It was a fun way of closing out the show, while keeping the basics of the shopping format in place.

Edited: Australia

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version