The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

$ale of the Century discussion

<< < (11/16) > >>

Sodboy13:

--- Quote from: tvmitch on August 24, 2023, 10:52:06 AM ---I'll add that I loved the addition of a bonus round to Temptation, where the contestant had to earn their way towards a large cash pot. It was a fun way of closing out the show, while keeping the basics of the shopping format in place.

--- End quote ---

I'll second this while noting they completely borked everything else that worked about the shopping endgame dormat.

EDIT: Brain default to US Temptation, not Australian. Eh, it's too hot today.

TLEberle:
I think that Mitch meant Temptation Australia.

BrandonFG:
Interesting that Body Language even made it 18 months with such low clearances. I can't imagine the numbers got much better going into 1985, considering its 4:00 competitor The Edge of Night ended in late-1984.

/Between 1982-86, the only CBS game WTKR cleared was TPiR
//They eventually aired Card Sharks in fall '86
///But still no Pyramid

Ian Wallis:

--- Quote from: carlisle96 on August 24, 2023, 12:43:32 PM ---I can imagine how frustrated Mark Goodson was to come up with a good show like Body Language and have relatively few people given the chance to sample it just once. Same with Super Password. The only time I saw Body Language was when I sat in the audience. The Baltimore and Washington CBS stations didn't carry it.

--- End quote ---

Body Language wasn't picked up by the Buffalo or Rochester CBS stations either, so I never saw it in its original run.  I think the only thing I recall seeing was a brief plug for the show which slipped thru once on one of those stations, otherwise I had no idea it even existed.

SuperMatch93:
If you're going to have an actual bonus round for Sale, tying it in to a shopping-related mechanic is the way to go IMO. As much as we rag on US Temptation, playing Wipeout Super Knock-Off at least earned you Temptation Dollars for the major prizes.

A while back on a game show Discord, I had this idea for a bonus round:

Your total at the end of the game is your baseline for shopping, with the same sale prices as the old show. The contestant is asked questions (more difficult than the main game ones) at $50 a pop and given the category before each one. A wrong answer gives them a strike, and three strikes ends the bonus round and forfeits any additional dollars won (essentially giving them the first level prize by default). Once they have two strikes the risk element comes into play: after hearing the category they could cash out at whatever level they were at, or go on.

I had a primetime version in mind sans returning champions for this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version