The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

$ale of the Century discussion

<< < (14/16) > >>

SuperMatch93:

--- Quote from: rebelwrest on July 08, 2023, 03:12:07 PM ---IIRC, and the episode isn't up on YouTube anymore, there was one participant in the tournament who wasn't in that photo.  Wasn't there a black man by the name of Michael who participate? Probably was the replacement for Ray Winston when he was declared ineligible.

--- End quote ---

It's been reposted; the guy you're referring to is actually Michael Todaro.

jlgarfield:
^ Re: Michael Todaro: I thought his last name, for the longest time was pronounced "TOH-DAH-ROE". It's actually "TOH-DARE-OH". XD

Also, he was on Jeopardy! in November 1986.

SuperMatch93:

--- Quote from: jlgarfield on July 07, 2023, 04:38:28 PM ---From Mort Kamins' recording of the 1983 $ale Tournament of Champions, the field for it. As stated in the image, I am not sure which lady on the top (left or right) is Helen Durvall, and the name of the last participant (also a female) is unknown.

--- End quote ---

I normally don't bump threads this old, but I was doing some Sale research for a personal project of mine earlier and learned that the lady in the upper right is likely named Maureen McGovern. According to several recollections, she left with the cash jackpot ($54,000) on 5/27/83 and was supposedly the first person to do so. The commercial below aired the 29th, so the clip featured likely aired the following day.

I'll try to find something a bit more conclusive on newspapers.com regarding that.

rebelwrest:

--- Quote from: SuperMatch93 on August 24, 2024, 04:26:05 PM ---
I normally don't bump threads this old, but I was doing some Sale research for a personal project of mine earlier and learned that the lady in the upper right is likely named Maureen McGovern. According to several recollections, she left with the cash jackpot ($54,000) on 5/27/83 and was supposedly the first person to do so. The commercial below aired the 29th, so the clip featured likely aired the following day.

I'll try to find something a bit more conclusive on newspapers.com regarding that.

--- End quote ---

5/29/83 was a Sunday, so I think the clip featured was the introduction of the cash jackpot unless NBC spoiled the outcome of the following day's episode.  I think we can pin down the beginning of the cash jackpot era as 5/23/83, and the order of the first four cash jackpot winners were:

Maureen McGovern 5/27/83
Richard Heft 7/13/83
Barbara Phillips 8/9/83
Fran Wolfe 9/1/83? (Assuming she won a $66,000 cash jackpot)

And back to the photo of the nine contestants, I don't think that's Ray Winston, and I don't think he participated in the 1983 tournament of champions. I'll explain.

In the lawsuit that Mr. Winston filed against NBC for nonpayment, the dates Mr. Winston taped his episodes were November 11 & 13th, 1983.  NBC was airing the tournament of champions at the time and started airing those episodes in October.

The history of $ale of the Century is one of the more intriguing aspects of game show fandom because we are trying to piece it together with the little bits of info that comes out every few years.

Strikerz04:

--- Quote from: rebelwrest on August 24, 2024, 06:13:18 PM ---
--- Quote from: SuperMatch93 on August 24, 2024, 04:26:05 PM ---

--- End quote ---

5/29/83 was a Sunday, so I think the clip featured was the introduction of the cash jackpot unless NBC spoiled the outcome of the following day's episode.  I think we can pin down the beginning of the cash jackpot era as 5/23/83, and the order of the first four cash jackpot winners were:

Maureen McGovern 5/27/83
Richard Heft 7/13/83
Barbara Phillips 8/9/83
Fran Wolfe 9/1/83? (Assuming she won a $66,000 cash jackpot)

And back to the photo of the nine contestants, I don't think that's Ray Winston, and I don't think he participated in the 1983 tournament of champions. I'll explain.

In the lawsuit that Mr. Winston filed against NBC for nonpayment, the dates Mr. Winston taped his episodes were November 11 & 13th, 1983.  NBC was airing the tournament of champions at the time and started airing those episodes in October.

--- End quote ---

I'll hazard a guess: if the tape to air dates line up, Winston (12/8/83?) might have won it before Kathy Riley (1/18/84) did. And under those circumstances, he wouldn't qualify for the '83 tournament, but would've been in the '85 tourney (and John DiMurro and the $13k total would've been the odd man out).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version