Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Spin-Off page updated  (Read 4357 times)

The Ol' Guy

Spin-Off page updated
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2004, 10:21:59 PM »
Thanks also for the additional tidbits concerning Nicholson-Muir games and the couples/poker references. I have a home copy of N-M's Definition, a long-running Canadian show. I think I have a tape of it coming from another collector. The cover, however, shows, what looks like a man-woman (husband-wife?) team playing against a team of two young women. Did N-M use married couples and family pairs on that show as well? I hope to heaven buried somewhere in my closet is a tape with a Nicholson-Muir show I've never heard anyone else talk about. I was watching an early local cable channel that picked up programs from various sources, and they ran a program called The Shopping Game. Art James was the host, and it was one of the earliest shop-at-home tie-in games I had ever seen. A few times during the game, Art would read questions (true/false?) to the four contestants worth $100 or 100 points each - perhaps four questions in a round. Only the players who chose the right answer won the money, and the amount each player had was kept secret from the other players. Then Art would show and describe some kind of prize - a nice watch, artwork, an appliance. After the description and the invitation for viewers to call a toll-free number to buy the item for themselves, the players then would bid on the item, just like the original Price Is Right. High bid would win the item - and the thing is, like poker, you could bid more money than you had and win with a bluff if nobody challenged you. Art never revealed the amount of money any player had, so you could win a couple of prizes by bluffing. A player could challenge an opponent's bid - and the player in the wrong would be out of that round. The memory is a bit fuzzy as to the end - if whether it was the player with the highest value in prizes won, or whether it was who had the most in total cash/points and prizes at the end won. I called N-M and talked to the secretary about the game, and she was delighted someone watched it. I don't remember seeing any reference to the show in any book. Anyone else ever see it? Probably early 80s.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2004, 10:39:36 PM by The Ol' Guy »

zachhoran

Spin-Off page updated
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2004, 10:31:51 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Mar 8 2004, 10:21 PM\'] Thanks also for the additional tidbits concerning Nicholson-Muir games and the couples/poker references. I have a home copy of N-M's Definition, a long-running Canadian show. I think I have a tape of it coming from another collector. The cover, however, shows, what looks like a man-woman (husband-wife?) team playing against a team of two young women. Did N-M use married couples and family pairs on that show as well [/quote]
 As per an interview with producer Jerry ROchon in TV Game SHow Magazine in the January 1987 issue, Deifnition originally had celeb and civilian duos, but then changed to two civilian related pairs of contestants.

KWJCDon

Spin-Off page updated
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2004, 11:54:15 PM »
I remember the Shopping Game too. If memory serves me correctly, it was aired sometime before May of 82. I can't remember exactly how the game was played, but I do remember the cheesy set and even cheesier production values. The only reason it sticks in my mind is because of Art James. Try as he might, it was just hard to get the show going and make it exciting.  I don't think it lasted too long.

Hope that helps,
Don

Jimmy Owen

Spin-Off page updated
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2004, 12:11:27 AM »
Was that on Satellite Program Network?  How come nobody has mentioned "Howdy Doody"?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

rugrats1

Spin-Off page updated
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2004, 12:12:45 AM »
I have a home copy of N-M's Definition, a long-running Canadian show.

Considering that they're both Americans, I didn't know Nicholson-Muir created "Definition".

The Ol' Guy

Spin-Off page updated
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2004, 12:47:13 AM »
Thanks to all for the info. And thanks, KWJCDon - glad someone could back me up. Satellite Program Network sounds familiar...this goes back to when the Grand Rapids cable service was owned by GE. It's flipped ownerships several times since. As far as N-M selling their show to Canadian broadcasters, they were like everyone else - pitch an idea wherever you can until someone buys it. When Dan Enright worked for Screen Gems while in exile in Canada, he was involved with several Canadian game shows and probably developed and sold a few. I think All About Faces was his, and he worked with at least one other Canadian producer, Sidney Cohen, who developed a game called The Mad Dash, and worked on It's A Match (Dan Enright Productions) and Photo Finish (Enright/Barry Prods). According to Cohen's bio, he also worked with Roger Muir, so these guys must network a lot. I can't vouch for sure, but some people think Enright was involved with Pay Cards. Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Ian Wallis

Spin-Off page updated
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2004, 09:36:59 AM »
As per an interview with producer Jerry ROchon in TV Game SHow Magazine in the January 1987 issue, Deifnition originally had celeb and civilian duos, but then changed to two civilian related pairs of contestants.

Celebrities were used on "Definition" from its debut in 1974 to about 1987.  From 1987 to its cancellation in 1989, civilain pairs were used.

At the end of every year they'd always have a tournament of champions where they'd give away either a Dream Kitchen, or a New Car.  When you only had one person coming back it wasn't so bad, but when two people came back, I wonder how they divided up the prize??!!

So far only two episodes exist in the trade circuit - too bad a few more weren't around.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

AH3RD

Spin-Off page updated
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2004, 12:24:39 PM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Mar 7 2004, 04:06 PM\'] I finally was able to add some much-needed information about the show from someone who actually got to see it most of the time.  Also, regarding the link to my page posted by Curt Alliaume at Game Shows '75, it has a URL I no longer use; the current one is http://dpjohnson1.tripod.com/spinoff.html

I know the site hasn't been updated for a while, most likely with good reason, but I hope you can at least fix the link when you have time.  As for the opinion of the show, to each his own. [/quote]
Oh, but yes it does matter here, David! It's looking magnificent!! Especially those vidcaps you uploaded! Definitely keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 12:25:11 PM by AH3RD »
Aaron Handy III - ah07_1999@yahoo.com

The ABC Password Page

The Aaron Handy III TV Web Shrine

PeterMarshallFan

Spin-Off page updated
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2004, 08:52:39 PM »
Who owns Spin-Off now? Does Nicholson-Muir still have the rights?

rugrats1

Spin-Off page updated
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2004, 10:11:33 PM »
Who owns Spin-Off now? Does Nicholson-Muir still have the rights?

I don't know -- are Nicholson and/or Muir still alive?