Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2023 Emmy nominations announced -- Game Shows  (Read 5079 times)

colonial

2023 Emmy nominations announced -- Game Shows
« on: July 12, 2023, 01:25:30 PM »
Game shows are now part of the Primetime Emmys, and nominations were announced earlier today.

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW

"Family Feud"
"Jeopardy!"
"The Price Is Right"
"That's My Jam"
"Wheel Of Fortune"

OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW HOST

Mayim Bialik, "Jeopardy!"
Steve Harvey, "Family Feud"
Ken Jennings, "Jeopardy!"
Keke Palmer, "Password"
Pat Sajak, "Wheel of Fortune"

With both J! hosts listed as possible nominees, you could probably bet the farm that both would have been nominated and essentially eliminate each other. Good choice on Palmer (the current Password is loud and obnoxious, but the format is solid and she is a good host that's able to overcome all things Jimmy Fallon). Voters pretty much played it safe on a declining Sajak as the fifth pick -- there are at least five other eligible hosts that would have been a better choice than Pat (Burns, Lynch, Remini, Higgins, Banks)

As for outstanding show -- That's My Jam is a celebrity musical game show, but there had to be a better selection than that (PYL or Password). Again, voters seemed to be playing it safe with prime-time efforts, as well as syndie shows that have prime-time audiences.

JD

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Re: 2023 Emmy nominations announced -- Game Shows
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 03:20:22 PM »
TPIR is nominated but not Drew.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 03:22:35 PM »

Drew has historically declined nomination.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2023, 03:33:54 PM »
He should get an honorary award but have the statuette shaped like Bob's Big Boy
This signature is currently under construction.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2023, 04:13:30 PM »
Were Sajak not retiring, I'd be speculating on whether Steve Harvey gets an easy win because Bialik and Jennings cancel each other out or whether the Emmy voting could turn into a referendum on who should get the position full time.

But award shows historically appoint winners based on notable recent events (and sometimes perceived past snubs), and with Sajak having announced his retirement, I don't see how he doesn't get the Emmy, for longevity if nothing else.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2023, 04:28:57 PM »
He should get an honorary award but have the statuette shaped like Bob's Big Boy

Not to be confused with what Dian got

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2023, 10:01:53 PM »

He has, but surprisingly, TPIR did tweet out an FYC for both the show and Drew this year, seemingly breaking the streak of declining consideration. So, I'm a little disappointed he didn't get a nod.

Were Sajak not retiring, I'd be speculating on whether Steve Harvey gets an easy win because Bialik and Jennings cancel each other out or whether the Emmy voting could turn into a referendum on who should get the position full time.

But award shows historically appoint winners based on notable recent events (and sometimes perceived past snubs), and with Sajak having announced his retirement, I don't see how he doesn't get the Emmy, for longevity if nothing else.
But do they give it to him now or at the conclusion of his final season? Does he win back-to-back? Or do the Emmys expect a win now to satisfy him and they won't even consider him at all next year?

I'm very curious to see the nomination clips and see what was submitted for both the show category and the host category. Wheel, Jeopardy and Family Feud are all credited as being "ABC" and not "Syndication." Does that mean that all of those shows submitted episodes from their primetime counterparts on ABC or that they submitted episodes from their syndicated versions and listed ABC to have a "network" attached? Or did they submit some mix of episodes from both primetime and syndicated?
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

colonial

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 09:19:40 AM »
I'm under the presumption that, if Sajak is nominated for a 2024 Emmy, he wins that as a lifetime achievement award of sorts, similar to when Barker won for his final season hosting TPiR.

As far as 2023 goes, I honestly think there are better options than a past his prime, going through the motions Sajak as the fifth nominee. I think the battle is between Harvey and Palmer for the trophy as the two J! hosts eliminate each other.

JD

johnnya2k3

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2023, 02:48:51 PM »
I think the battle is between Harvey and Palmer for the trophy as the two J! hosts eliminate each other.

Unless we hear another, “And the Emmy goes to…IT’S A TIE!!!” (just like in 2000, when Bob Barker and Tom Bergeron co-won)

And Sajak was already presented with a Lifetime Achievement Emmy years ago, so that pretty much counts.

But unless the game show categories are presented at the Creative Arts Awards, and with the actors moments away from joining the writers on strike, we may not have the Primetime Emmys till November (2001’s was twice delayed after 9/11) or even January!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 03:13:21 PM by johnnya2k3 »

BrandonFG

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2023, 03:09:07 PM »
And Sajak was already presented with a Lifetime Achievement Emmy years ago, so that pretty much counts.
So did Bob Barker. And he still won Daytime Emmys after the fact. Two things can be possible.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2023, 11:04:56 PM »
The ceremony is now officially being postponed, possibly to January 2024 as the strike continues.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/emmys-airdate-actors-writers-strike-1235681067/
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2023, 12:42:13 AM »
Are Pyramid and Michael Strahan getting snubbed, or are they not eligible because it's only a summer show?

trainman

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2023, 01:44:00 AM »
Are Pyramid and Michael Strahan getting snubbed, or are they not eligible because it's only a summer show?

Summer shouldn't matter -- as a series, it just had to air six episodes during the eligibility period (June 1, 2022 to May 31, 2023).
trainman is a man of trains

BrandonFG

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2023, 09:44:42 AM »
A couple updates: this year’s Emmys air on January 15th on FOX, with Anthony Anderson hosting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/anthony-anderson-to-host-the-75th-emmy-awards-following-strike-related-delays/

johnnya2k3

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2024, 09:45:44 PM »
And the Emmys go to...

GAME SHOW: Jeopardy!
HOST: Keke Palmer, Password (its franchise's second; Palmer’s also the first Black female winner)

Both categories were presented during Night 2 of the Creative Arts Emmys on Sunday (while the Golden Globes were going on across town).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 12:29:22 AM by johnnya2k3 »