Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Actors On Strike  (Read 7883 times)

Kevin Prather

Hollywood Actors On Strike
« on: July 13, 2023, 03:36:25 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/07/13/business/actors-strike-sag#sag-aftra-writers-strike

SAG-AFTRA has voted to go on strike tonight at midnight. They join the WGA on strike, making it the first double-walkout for the industry since 1960.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Re: Hollywood Actors On Strike
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 03:49:16 PM »
The one thing to be mindful of is that there could be multiple types of contracts at play. For instance, in the WGA strike, the contract at stake doesn't involve (some? all?) news people. So a SAG-AFTRA strike may or may not result in work stoppages in every avenue of entertainment, depending on specifics we may not be privy to.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

SuperMatch93

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 04:44:36 PM »
The one thing to be mindful of is that there could be multiple types of contracts at play. For instance, in the WGA strike, the contract at stake doesn't involve (some? all?) news people. So a SAG-AFTRA strike may or may not result in work stoppages in every avenue of entertainment, depending on specifics we may not be privy to.

-Jason

According to the SAG-AFTRA site, game shows may not be affected by this.

What productions would be affected if SAG-AFTRA goes on strike?

The affected productions include feature films, scripted dramatic television and scripted new media productions produced by AMPTP-represented employers and covered by the Codified Basic Agreement or Television Agreement.

Programs produced under the Network Code agreement would not be affected. This includes daytime serials (soap operas), talk shows, game shows, variety shows, award shows and other unscripted productions. Also unaffected are any productions that are not theatrical, new media or television-based in nature, such as commercials.

In the event of a strike, further information would be made available regarding how to determine if a particular production is subject to the strike.

Independent producers who are not represented by the AMPTP should expect further communication from the union in the event of a strike.

I had planned on going to LA in a few weeks to see Price, but I'll wait until I hear confirmation that they're taping before I book flights/a hotel stay.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

colonial

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 05:20:55 PM »
Can't imagine Mayim Bialik going back to work as she already stepped away in solidarity with the writers.

I believe Jay Leno mentioned previously he would not record new episodes of YBYL given the WGA strike.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 10:41:19 PM »
I believe Jay Leno mentioned previously he would not record new episodes of YBYL given the WGA strike.

I was genuinely not aware that "Will there be a third season of YBYL?" was a live question.

I don't even think I knew there was a second season of YBYL.

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2023, 12:24:30 AM »
This post on SAG-AFTRA's Instagram makes it very clear. Click over to "what you CAN work on!" and you'll see that game shows are among the programming not affected by this current labor dispute, from a SAG-AFTRA standpoint.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

trainman

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2023, 02:16:51 AM »
On one hand, they can say, "yes, you can work on a game show," but on the other hand, they can set up a picket line in front of the studio where the game show tapes, which fellow actors may be loath to cross.
trainman is a man of trains

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 01:12:02 PM »
On one hand, they can say, "yes, you can work on a game show," but on the other hand, they can set up a picket line in front of the studio where the game show tapes, which fellow actors may be loath to cross.

It would be *really* interesting to see if Drew would cross such a picket line.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 07:18:56 PM »

Will actors and writers travel up to Glendale to protest?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

jjman920

• Mhoops.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2023, 12:24:31 AM »
Can't imagine Mayim Bialik going back to work as she already stepped away in solidarity with the writers.
One also wonders if Ken would step in again after all the flack he got for doing so in May. It was one thing to help finish out the season with all the contestants in LA and material written, it's another to help start the season when they aren't in such a pinch.

And even beyond solidarity with the writers, what is Jeopardy specifically going to do without them? While I'm sure they were constantly pumping out content during the season, I highly doubt they've got a bank of material written to cover even half a season of syndicated shows *and* Celebrity Jeopardy.
Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

trainman

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2023, 01:39:42 AM »
And even beyond solidarity with the writers, what is Jeopardy specifically going to do without them? While I'm sure they were constantly pumping out content during the season, I highly doubt they've got a bank of material written to cover even half a season of syndicated shows *and* Celebrity Jeopardy.

During the 2007-08 writers' strike, once J! ran out of banked material, they reused still-relevant categories from previous shows (about 10 years prior). That was before there was an online archive of most of their past clues, though.

I'm honestly expecting to see both of these scenarios...

Syndicated version: "We threw a virtual dart at our content library, so please enjoy this encore presentation of the 2012 Teen Tournament."

Celebrity version: ABC releases a new fall schedule, from which "Celebrity Jeopardy!" is absent.
trainman is a man of trains

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2023, 03:23:00 AM »
Will actors and writers travel up to Glendale to protest?

Let's Make a Deal has been taping at the new studio since the first half of June; they have more tapings coming up this month. Anybody scheduled to be in the audience in the near future?

Syndicated version: "We threw a virtual dart at our content library, so please enjoy this encore presentation of the 2012 Teen Tournament."

Personally, I really enjoyed it when Jeopardy! filled out its truncated 2020 schedule by dipping deep into the vault.

Somebody alert me when the networks finally give up on trying to make their late night shows still feel timely by rerunning the most recent episodes (two months after the start of the writers' strike) and instead go to the effort of showcasing interesting moments from years past.

SamPrainito

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2023, 03:37:22 AM »
Good point, Scott!

During the last strike, despite Leno’s promise NBC would never rerun shows produced by Helen Kushnick, they ran a show from his second week with Tom Hanks.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2023, 11:41:41 PM »

According to one of the actors I follow, it's an NLRB violation to withhold work on a project that's not struck.

I trust this guy's knowledge of labor agreements but I feel like there's ways around that.
This signature is currently under construction.

Otm Shank

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2023, 01:48:17 PM »
According to one of the actors I follow, it's an NLRB violation to withhold work on a project that's not struck.

I trust this guy's knowledge of labor agreements but I feel like there's ways around that.
This is exactly what I thought of when Mayim said she would not finish the Jeopardy season, that she really is obligated to work. But I would guess that she reached an agreement with the producers that she be allowed to make a "statement" move, and since it didn't leave them in a lurch, they granted the request. The fact that Ken would catch flak for finishing the season was likely not anticipated. Then again, so much digital ink has been spilled in recent years on Jeopardy controversies that are nothingburgers.