Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR: New studio details  (Read 46549 times)

Scrabbleship

Re: TPIR: New studio details
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2023, 04:12:37 PM »
There were several of those years (believe every even year from 1976 to 1992).

Those years had purpose made 30 minute episodes. IIRC 1997 was the year that CBS trotted out a 1974 episode.

BrandonFG

« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2023, 05:32:19 PM »

Those years had purpose made 30 minute episodes. IIRC 1997 was the year that CBS trotted out a 1974 episode.
1998. Then another early episode in 2000. I probably have the tapes somewhere.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2023, 06:25:51 PM »
How many of you remember the year that CBS aired a 30-minute Pillsbury Bake-Off and then followed it with a 30-minute "Classic Price Is Right"? 

But it wasn't sometime until the 90's that they actually reran a classic 30-minute episode, but they took a machete to the original airing to make it fit in the newer time parameters. 

It was liking a Match Game '73 episode and giving it a Match Game '79 treatment (heavily edited).

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2023, 06:28:54 PM »
They did it three times -- 1998, 2000, and 2002.  I distinctly remember the 2000 rerun editing out the beginning of the show -- it started with Johnny calling down the first contestant.

Neumms

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2023, 03:46:14 PM »
There was a specific order of selection for contestants based upon their personalities and how Barker would be able to interact with them....

I'd never heard this. It makes sense, but I learned something today. Thank you.

My two cents on Drew: I think I get why CBS wanted him. He was a brand name. They could promote "watch Drew Carey on The Price Is Right." Mark L. Wahlberg? Not so much. Wahlberg would have been great, but he would have had a much harder time escaping Bob's shadow because despite his skill, most people would only have seen him as the replacement Bob. Drew was/is so different, it's folly to compare them that way.

Their decision has borne out and if it hadn't, the show would have been cancelled, so I appreciate Drew for keeping it on the air. I take a charitable view anyway because I like him as a person, although I'm not crazy about his new parolee style and wardrobe. 

Nick

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2023, 03:58:41 PM »
I think I get why CBS wanted him. He was a brand name. They could promote "watch Drew Carey on The Price Is Right." Mark L. Wahlberg? Not so much

I suppose such a claim would be consistent with "how showbiz works", but if that really was the case, how the heck did Mikey Richards ever get the hosting job for Jeopardy!?  Being producer alone wouldn't have been enough.  He was unknown to almost everybody, and there was certainly no shortage of B-list celebrities they could have got as host of the show.  The whole "nobody knows this guy" didn't ring here when it seems to ring everywhere else.

Wahlberg would have been great, but he would have had a much harder time escaping Bob's shadow because despite his skill, most people would only have seen him as the replacement Bob. Drew was/is so different, it's folly to compare them that way.

Only insofar as Walberg has done a better job hosting game shows than Drew Carey has.  If Roger Dobkowtiz said Mark L. Walberg should have been the next host of The Price Is Right (and he did), then Mark L. Walberg should have been the next host of The Price Is Right.  Your producer who's risen through the ranks having been there since day one, who has shown the knack for recognizing a stinker change to your format when he sees it coming to remain on the outside (i.e., Davidson's Price), then his is a judgement you do not just throw aside before you throw said producer under the bus.  In my opinion, the only redeeming aspect of Drew's first season was that it came across as "some fat guy hosting Bob's show", and for the number of people who've come out of the woodwork in light of Barker's death to talk about how much the show was "comfort food" to them, being that's the legacy they built with the show, it's a legacy that never should have been shed through the transformation they've done to the show in the last fifteen years.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Neumms

« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2023, 04:17:22 PM »
Nick, I agree Mark is a smoother and more capable as a host. I don't really applaud CBS' decision or the process of making it, but I can understand it, and again, the show is still running and I'm glad.

I don't think Roger had enough resume to throw weight around the network office. I'd hope they'd have listened and they did keep him as producer, but as far as planning a big transition, he had no currency because the show had famously never made any kind of transition. Saying, "Hey, remember the syndicated version? I told everyone it wouldn't work" wouldn't buy much.

With Mikey, I guess it helps to know the producer. Or be the producer. Also running auditions on the air made that process far different. The year of well-known people trying out gave it Hollywood buzz, and it gave Richards cred as winning the competition for the job.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2023, 05:25:17 AM »
My theory, and it is merely a theory, mind you, is that somebody currently or formerly connected with CBS is getting a chunk of Drew's outsized salary.

Drew reportedly used to show up for rehearsal without having learned his lines, so to speak.

whewfan

« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2023, 05:52:40 AM »
Roger has said that Drew was attentive at rehearsals, at first, but then he would just goof off. Remember, he broke his wrist and hand when he got it stuck while the turntable was turning. I think he thought he could stop it from turning by blocking it off, but instead it smashed his hand. He also had some accident that required him walk with a cane. To make it fairly easy for Drew to learn the games, they played the same 6 games for about a week of shows, then added on more and more as the show progressed. I did read that he completely forgot how to play Bonus Game once, and had to stop tape to ask Roger how it was played.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2023, 05:00:37 PM »
Roger has also said that on Drew's first day of rehearsal he showed up not having read the script that was provided to him.

cmjb13

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2023, 06:10:00 PM »
My theory, and it is merely a theory, mind you, is that somebody currently or formerly connected with CBS is getting a chunk of Drew's outsized salary.

Drew reportedly used to show up for rehearsal without having learned his lines, so to speak.

Didn’t both Barker and Carey negotiate their salaries with CBS but were paid by the production company?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2023, 11:52:42 PM »
...when was the last time Roger worked on price again?
insert signature here

whewfan

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2023, 08:17:29 AM »
Roger was gone by the end of season 36, however, he had already arranged the pricing game lineups and prizes and showcases for the first two weeks of season 37, so they had to go by his input for the first couple weeks. Also, the "Drewcases" started at that point after the first two weeks.

Some had thought the wheel's color scheme was Roger's decision, but Roger said he only upped the winning amounts, he had nothing to do with the green and purple wheel.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2023, 09:04:48 AM »
Matt. Benjamin knows the answer to his question. He’s trying to use a literary device to make a point.
Travis L. Eberle

whewfan

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2023, 09:12:35 AM »
Didn't recognize the reference. To quote a reference in Peter Marshall's book, the literary reference used was "A man with a hat comes out and explains it." thing for me.