Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: YDS! Home Game  (Read 6572 times)

alfonzos

YDS! Home Game
« on: September 23, 2023, 05:52:55 PM »
IMHO, the "You Don't Say!" home game is underrated. Hurting the game is a wordy set of rules (compared to most other home games based on game shows), dated material (the game was released sixty years ago), and uninspired Bonus Board material.

I recommend the game. After some practice, you and your friends will get the hang of the rules and you can get names to play from Name Burst by Golden or People Magazine. As for the Bonus Board, you can make your own using the template I uploaded to boardgamegeek.com/filepage/265478. You will need the free membership to Boardgame Geek to download.

Your feedback would be appreciated!
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: YDS! Home Game
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 05:55:34 PM »
No marks down for rolling 2d6 to determine which name you play?  I find the game a delightfully quirky challenge but it is not for everybody.
Travis L. Eberle

alfonzos

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 09:37:41 PM »
No marks down for rolling 2d6 to determine which name you play?
Good point. Replace the standard dice with a twelve-sided die and reroll any ones.
I find the game a delightfully quirky challenge but it is not for everybody.
Me too. With practice, I suspect that anyone into word association games can master the technique.
A Cliff Saber Production

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 01:56:52 AM »
I would just play words straight in order, though it’s curious that they didn’t have stacks of  cards with five names each.
Travis L. Eberle

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 12:44:10 AM »
Was mentioning the game to a friend and while grousing about the game book contents, he suggested that for the sake of younger kids who would not know a lot of famous names, they included the lists of animals, foods, etc. Seemed logical. Still, I'm adding a vote to the NameBurst idea. Guess if I wanted something slightly newer, I could dig out cards from Celebrity Name Game.

alfonzos

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 12:20:36 AM »
My guess as to why the publisher didn't put names on cards was that it was cheaper to make a booklet.

As for generating your own material for play, names of four and five syllabels are perfect. The names, of course, have to be familiar to the players.
A Cliff Saber Production