Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Terrible nostalgia article about What's My Line?  (Read 7570 times)

Matt Ottinger

Terrible nostalgia article about What's My Line?
« on: October 06, 2023, 06:05:21 PM »
Drinking game!  Take a sip every time you find a mistake in the article.  You're unlikely to make it through three paragraphs.

https://yesterdaysamerica.net/admin/whats-my-line-exploring-the-quintessential-television-game-show
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Re: Terrible nostalgia article about What's My Line?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 07:35:20 PM »
I would have tried, but the nasal polyps turned me off…figured it was a dermatologist.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 08:33:41 PM »
Looks AI-generated to me.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

chad1m

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 09:20:22 PM »
Quote from: This godforsaken article
The “What’s My Line?” Mystery Wheel: In a playful twist, the show introduced the Mystery Wheel, which determined the panelist’s occupation for the day. This random selection added an element of unpredictability to the show.
The show would still be on the air today if the Mystery Wheel was a thing.

CarpetCrawler

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 10:30:03 PM »
Looks AI-generated to me.

Skimming through a bunch of other articles seems to confirm this theory.  A favorite of mine is the Growing Pains article that at the end promises to list six major moments from Leonardo DiCaprio's time on the show that stops after number three.
- CC Kirby

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 11:35:38 PM »
Out of curiosity, I asked ChatGPT to generate a blog article about the TV game show What's My Line, and the result is strikingly similar to what Matt posted:

Title: Unmasking the Glamour and Mystery: A Look Back at the Classic TV Game Show "What's My Line?"

Introduction

In the realm of classic television game shows, one title stands out as a timeless favorite that blended wit, charm, and suspense. "What's My Line?" graced the screens of American households for over two decades, captivating audiences with its unique premise and iconic panelists. In this article, we'll take a nostalgic journey down memory lane to explore the allure and enduring appeal of this beloved show.

The Birth of "What's My Line?"

"What's My Line?" made its television debut on February 2, 1950, and quickly became a cultural phenomenon. Created by Mark Goodson and Bill Todman, the show combined elements of mystery, humor, and celebrity in a novel format. The concept was simple yet brilliant: contestants would appear before a panel of celebrities who would ask yes-or-no questions to guess their occupation or "line."

The Format

The heart of the show was its panel of four regular celebrities: Arlene Francis, Dorothy Kilgallen, Bennett Cerf, and the ever-dapper John Charles Daly as the host. These panelists were known for their wit, quick thinking, and humorous banter. Their chemistry and camaraderie added to the show's charm.

Each episode featured a celebrity mystery guest who had achieved fame in various fields such as entertainment, sports, politics, or business. The objective was for the panel to identify the guest's occupation within a certain number of questions, while the guest's answers were limited to "yes," "no," "sometimes," and "I don't know." If the panel failed to guess the occupation, the mystery guest would win a cash prize.

The panelists' deductive reasoning and probing questions were often amusing and occasionally baffling, keeping the audience in suspense. The show's trademark phrase, "Is it bigger than a breadbox?" became an instant classic and was emblematic of the humorous exchanges that unfolded on the stage.

Celebrity Guests

One of the show's most appealing aspects was its impressive roster of mystery guests. Over the years, "What's My Line?" welcomed luminaries such as Lucille Ball, Frank Sinatra, Walt Disney, and even then-Senator John F. Kennedy. The guessing game allowed viewers to see their favorite celebrities in a more casual and relatable light.

Evolution and Legacy

The show adapted to the changing times and continued to captivate audiences through the 1960s and into the 1970s. Several spin-offs and international adaptations were created, cementing its status as a global sensation. However, the original American version concluded its run on September 3, 1967, after an incredible 17-year stint.

"What's My Line?" left an indelible mark on the world of television. It showcased the power of simplicity and human curiosity, proving that a show could be entertaining without relying on flashy gimmicks or high-stakes competitions. It highlighted the power of wit, charm, and a good sense of humor.

Conclusion

Though "What's My Line?" is no longer on the airwaves, its legacy endures through reruns and the fond memories of those who watched it during its heyday. It was a show that celebrated the art of conversation, the joy of discovery, and the camaraderie of celebrity panelists.

In a world of ever-evolving entertainment, "What's My Line?" remains a shining example of a classic that transcends time, reminding us that sometimes, the simplest of concepts can create the most enduring magic on television. So, if you ever stumble upon an old episode, take a moment to appreciate the wit, humor, and charm that made "What's My Line?" a true classic in the world of television game shows.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

trainman

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 01:13:45 AM »
Great, all it's missing is "Webster's dictionary defines 'line' as 'a length of cord or cord-like material.'"
trainman is a man of trains

SuperMatch93

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 02:07:52 AM »
“What’s My Line?” made its debut on February 2, 1950, as a radio program hosted by John Daly.

The transition from radio to television was a natural one, and on February 2, 1950, the first televised episode of “What’s My Line?” aired on CBS,

That was quick!
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

Mr. Matté

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 07:25:46 AM »
Great, all it's missing is "Webster's dictionary defines 'line' as 'a length of cord or cord-like material.'"

ChatGPT:  "As you know, What's My Line is a game of definitions."