Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2 Family Feud Questions  (Read 8678 times)

cmjb13

2 Family Feud Questions
« on: March 12, 2004, 08:37:24 AM »
Applies to any version:

Were family members allowed to give each other answers during the main game?

Were all 5 family members auditioned at the same time or was 1 interviewed with a follow up with the others?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Ian Wallis

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 08:50:42 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, they were not allowed to help each other during the main game.  The only senario in which families could concur is if they're not playing the question - then they could quietly discuss amongst themselves possible "steal" answers.

I believe that when families auditioned for the show, they all auditioned together.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

tvrandywest

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 12:56:51 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 05:37 AM\'] Were all 5 family members auditioned at the same time or was 1 interviewed with a follow up with the others? [/quote]
 Back on Dawson's ABC years the families were kept together for auditions and run-throughs; part of the magic was seeing how they would interact ("good answer!").

The contestant coordinators for that version included Beverly Pomerantz (still doing contestants), and Jerry (was that his first name?) Modine. Long since passed away, Jerry was a fave among GT employees - his name came up in idle chit chat with Kathy Greco a few months back.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

jcompton

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 01:00:11 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 08:37 AM\'] Were family members allowed to give each other answers during the main game? [/quote]
 Expressly not, no. And it seemed that by time Combs Feud rolled around, they were directly trying to keep people from cheating, by blurting out two different answers. Typically on Dawson Feud they'd either go with the first or he'd make them choose one. On Combs, the second answer became disqualified for that family to use, but it was of course still available for the other side to use in a steal.

Mike Tennant

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 01:36:02 PM »
[quote name=\'jcompton\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 01:00 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 08:37 AM\'] Were family members allowed to give each other answers during the main game? [/quote]
Expressly not, no. And it seemed that by time Combs Feud rolled around, they were directly trying to keep people from cheating, by blurting out two different answers. Typically on Dawson Feud they'd either go with the first or he'd make them choose one. On Combs, the second answer became disqualified for that family to use, but it was of course still available for the other side to use in a steal.[/quote]
While we're on this topic, does anyone know why they stopped doing the "huddle" and just had Ray go down the line and ask each family member for a suggestion for the steal?

tommycharles

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 02:00:31 PM »
This is a point that's made VERY clear on the British version - after the face off, Les would always tell the winner to "rejoin your family, NO CONFERING!!"

So there it is.

Don Howard

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 02:31:28 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 12:56 PM\'] The contestant coordinators for that version included Beverly Pomerantz (still doing contestants) [/quote]
 Tramp!

Don Howard

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 02:34:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 01:36 PM\'] While we're on this topic, does anyone know why they stopped doing the "huddle" and just had Ray go down the line and ask each family member for a suggestion for the steal? [/quote]
 Whatever the reason was, it was a bad one. It was because of this that the adolescent heckling started.

BrandonFG

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 10:52:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 02:34 PM\'] [quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 01:36 PM\'] While we're on this topic, does anyone know why they stopped doing the "huddle" and just had Ray go down the line and ask each family member for a suggestion for the steal? [/quote]
Whatever the reason was, it was a bad one. It was because of this that the adolescent heckling started. [/quote]
 I didn't like that decision either, but mainly because it was time consuming, and family members often repeated answers down the line. The huddle was simple enough, all they would've had to do was sound the time-up buzzer.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

uncamark

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 07:52:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 01:36 PM\'][quote name=\'jcompton\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 01:00 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 08:37 AM\'] Were family members allowed to give each other answers during the main game? [/quote]
Expressly not, no. And it seemed that by time Combs Feud rolled around, they were directly trying to keep people from cheating, by blurting out two different answers. Typically on Dawson Feud they'd either go with the first or he'd make them choose one. On Combs, the second answer became disqualified for that family to use, but it was of course still available for the other side to use in a steal.[/quote]
While we're on this topic, does anyone know why they stopped doing the "huddle" and just had Ray go down the line and ask each family member for a suggestion for the steal?[/quote]
Going down the line for a suggested steal was all throughout the Combs version, from Day One, along with dropping the pass-or-play option.

And don't they go down the line on "100 Mexicanos Dijeron" instead of huddling--or do they do both?

Mike Tennant

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 10:24:35 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 15 2004, 07:52 PM\'][quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 01:36 PM\'][quote name=\'jcompton\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 01:00 PM\'][quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Mar 12 2004, 08:37 AM\'] Were family members allowed to give each other answers during the main game? [/quote]
While we're on this topic, does anyone know why they stopped doing the "huddle" and just had Ray go down the line and ask each family member for a suggestion for the steal?[/quote]
Going down the line for a suggested steal was all throughout the Combs version, from Day One, along with dropping the pass-or-play option.[/quote]
I understood that.  I just meant they stopped doing the huddle when they started Ray's version.

I'd still like someone to explain this.  Dropping "pass or play?" makes sense; this doesn't.

Jimmy Owen

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 11:15:05 AM »
A huddle would lead to a consensus, so why have one and then have each team member come up with a different answer?  One advantage here is that the fourth or fifth person in a challenging family got a little face time beyond the intro.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 04:00:38 PM »
A huddle would lead to a consensus, so why have one and then have each team member come up with a different answer?

A guess a pet peeve of mine is that quite often on the Dawson Feud, families would huddle together.  Then, when it came time to line up again and give Richard the answer, there was still a lot of indecision and they couldn't figure out what to give.  What was all that huddling for if they hadn't decided by the time they got back in line?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Particleman

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2004, 04:12:04 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 04:00 PM\'] A guess a pet peeve of mine is that quite often on the Dawson Feud, families would huddle together.  Then, when it came time to line up again and give Richard the answer, there was still a lot of indecision and they couldn't figure out what to give.  What was all that huddling for if they hadn't decided by the time they got back in line? [/quote]
 What's worse is when they've finished huddling and then ask Richard to "repeat the question."  I remember once when this happened and Richard, obviously angered at this blatent stall, asked what the hell they were talking about the whole time.

You've gotta love the show for the people on there!

HYHYBT

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2004, 02:45:42 AM »
I would guess one reason was the occasional humor in the rejected answers. And even if it really took longer than the huddle (and it couldn't be more than a couple of seconds longer unless something interesting happened) it feels like they're moving faster.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages