Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 2 Family Feud Questions  (Read 8679 times)

JMFabiano

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2004, 06:51:03 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 15 2004, 07:52 PM\'] And don't they go down the line on "100 Mexicanos Dijeron" instead of huddling--or do they do both? [/quote]
 When I started watching, 100MD did use the Combs style, but eventually switched to the huddle, which is still in practice now.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

ChuckNet

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 12:51:45 PM »
I would guess one reason was the occasional humor in the rejected answers.

...such as the 1989 episode where a contestant on a stealing family, when asked "Name something that falls from trees", gave the answer "Bird sh(insert strike buzzer here)", leading to one of the biggest laughs ever.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

jcompton

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2004, 03:56:57 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Mar 15 2004, 07:52 PM\'] And don't they go down the line on "100 Mexicanos Dijeron" instead of huddling--or do they do both? [/quote]
 I don't get a channel with the show anymore... but has there ever been any research put into getting that guy to host the US Feud? Quite frankly, I don't even care if he speaks English, I still think it would result in the best Feud we've seen in a decade. :)

passwordplus

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2004, 07:02:58 PM »
Another question......    Why wasn't the family given the pass or play option in the face off? This was the only version where they weren't given a choice!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2004, 01:17:21 AM »
Another question...why give it to them in the first place? We already went over why passing is such a rotten notion. I forget, did we find any good to passing that wasn't refuted?

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Brandon Brooks

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2004, 01:57:44 AM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' date=\'Mar 21 2004, 01:17 AM\'] I forget, did we find any good to passing that wasn't refuted? [/quote]
 Well, no matter what anyone says to refute this, I'll still maintain this position:  Passing is something that should only be used rarely, but can be used strategically.  Example, there was a question tonight about famous redheads.  If you know your team doesn't know many redheads, and there are six answers on the board, it's very advantageous to pass.  You'll more than likely get it back when you try to steal, and by then, you would have huddled.

Brandon Brooks

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2004, 03:32:07 AM »
Passing is something that should only be used rarely, but can be used strategically.

Hmmm...it does work strategically, but there is a second way to take that idea you mentioned. What if the other team knows redheads so well that they nail all of the answers for a quick $97, for example?

Of course, you don't know this, but you do know your team is clueless. You can dodge the bullet by playing and knocking down whatever feeble answers your team has. One of two things then happen: your team nets a small bank because they couldn't steal or the other team gets a small bank because they got an easy answer you missed because of your inexperience on the topic.

It's really a gamble to play it the way you described because they may completely eliminate your answers giving them a huge score. If you gained control of a question your team knows seemingly nothing about, odds are you can spare this playing about with a small bank to gain a larger one later.

Then again, you could be passing to a team overanalyzing the game so much like myself, that they forget the question and get buzzed for time. :)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

passwordplus

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2004, 06:20:27 PM »
BTW, I left out in my last past that the only version to have no pass/play option was the Combs version.

Jay Temple

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2004, 07:28:25 PM »
I've mentioned this story before, but it bears repeating.  I saw a rare instance where a team passed, and I thought it might have been a good strategy.

On a celebrity edition (Perfect 10's, I think), the question arose, "Name a female tennis player."  (There were 6 answers on the board.)  Tracy Austin was one of the players on the team that had control.  They passed, which I thought was a good strategy, although I seem to recall that they were unable to steal.  In hindsight, I think it would have been a good strategy if there were more answers on the board, because there would have been more answers remaining when it came back to them.  In that situation, Tracy would have been in a good position to come up with one of the answers lower on the board.

So, I would say that one rare situation where it can be a good idea to pass is if there are likely to be a lot of answers remaining and one player on your team has lots of knowledge of the topic.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

MCArroyo1

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2004, 10:09:05 PM »
Hmm...

I just watched a "Perfect 10s" episode last week from a tape that I had recorded.  Anyways, Tracy Austin was on one of the teams, that "Female tennis player" question came up, and Tracy's team took control.  When Richard got to Tracy to ask for an answer, she timidly replied, "Tracy Austin?"

Did Tracy appear on two seperate celebrity weeks?  Because if your story is true, I doubt that they would have asked the same question twice in the span of one tapeing day.

MyCapableAssistant

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2004, 09:13:03 AM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Mar 18 2004, 10:51 AM\'] ...such as the 1989 episode where a contestant on a stealing family, when asked "Name something that falls from trees", gave the answer "Bird sh(insert strike buzzer here)", leading to one of the biggest laughs ever.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Hilarity courtesy of Ray!

I saw that *very* clip not too long ago
on a version of "TV's Funniest Game Show
Moments."  I thought Ray's response to
the contestant was even FUNNIER!!

"I'm glad COWS don't fly!"

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2004, 11:13:53 AM »
I wasn't a big fan of going down the line for the steal answers.  Most of the time, it had a rushed feel to it (and that probably was the intent).  The huddle makes the game have more of a family-participation feel, IMHO.  

100MD only huddles now.  Much better!

Now, if FremantleMedia would take a cue from our neighbors to the South...we would have an even BETTER feud!

Matthew
--Matt

Brandon Brooks

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2004, 12:17:56 PM »
[quote name=\'mparrish11\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 11:13 AM\'] 100MD only huddles now.  Much better!

Now, if FremantleMedia would take a cue from our neighbors to the South...we would have an even BETTER feud! [/quote]
 Huh?  Our Feud huddles too.

Brandon Brooks

gameshowguy2000

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2004, 05:13:00 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Mar 21 2004, 05:20 PM\'] BTW, I left out in my last past that the only version to have no pass/play option was the Combs version. [/quote]
 What about the Dawson '94 version?

zachhoran

2 Family Feud Questions
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2004, 06:40:21 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Mar 22 2004, 05:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Mar 21 2004, 05:20 PM\'] BTW, I left out in my last past that the only version to have no pass/play option was the Combs version. [/quote]
What about the Dawson '94 version? [/quote]
 The play/pass option wasn't used in the 1994-95 season either.