Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The game show "iceberg"  (Read 4700 times)

SamJ93

The game show "iceberg"
« on: January 11, 2024, 11:15:43 AM »
I'm sure many of you are familiar with the trend of creating an "iceberg" for a fandom, with an above-the-surface tier consisting of the most well-known stories and 4 undersea levels of increasingly obscure trivia.

If we were to create an iceberg for game shows, which bits of trivia would you include and where? Here are a few starters...feel free to add more. Keep in mind that I tried to approach this from the perspective of a semi-casual fan who may not have done some of the deep dives that we have:

TIER 1: The scandals, Michael Larson, Ken Jennings, James Holzhauer, the TPiR "perfect bid" controversy, the Charles Ingram UK Millionaire cheating scandal

TIER 2: Jim Peck's slip-and-fall on The Big Showdown, Mel Brooks' embarrassing encounter with Bill Cullen on Eye Guess, Kerry Ketchum/Patrick Quinn on Super Password, Mike Richards's J! hosting machinations, Professor Price

TIER 3: Bob Barker initially didn't want to host TPiR, Peter Tomarken's plane crash, George Peppard's P+ rant, Vanna White's miscarriage forcing an entire WoF puzzle to be edited, Thousand Dollar Bee, the "monsters" on early episodes of Supermarket Sweep

TIER 4: Monty Hall's claim that he created Password, TPiR throwing out an entire early episode due to a contestant's ineligibility, Katie Knudsen on ABC Millionaire, a losing contestant verbally abusing Meredith Vieira on syndie Millionaire
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

Kevin Prather

Re: The game show "iceberg"
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 12:35:26 PM »
Avocado.

That Don Guy

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 07:06:12 PM »
Tier 3: The Our Little Genius controversy; why The Rich List was canceled by Fox after one episode

Tier 4: The 1987 College Bowl national championship tournament (which aired on The Disney Channel), where it turned out some of the teams were inadvertently given some of the questions and answers months earlier

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 07:57:23 PM »
I'm just wondering how many posts into this thread we get until someone puts something on a tier that is in fact provably false.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

That Don Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 04:08:53 PM »
I'm just wondering how many posts into this thread we get until someone puts something on a tier that is in fact provably false.

Was it ever confirmed that the "fourth row of the Winners Circle pyramid, hidden behind plywood" on The $10,000 Pyramid did / didn't exist?

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2024, 12:24:37 AM »
I'm sure many of you are familiar with the trend of creating an "iceberg" for a fandom, with an above-the-surface tier consisting of the most well-known stories and 4 undersea levels of increasingly obscure trivia.

If we were to create an iceberg for game shows, which bits of trivia would you include and where? Here are a few starters...feel free to add more. Keep in mind that I tried to approach this from the perspective of a semi-casual fan who may not have done some of the deep dives that we have:

TIER 1: The scandals, Michael Larson, Ken Jennings, James Holzhauer, the TPiR "perfect bid" controversy, the Charles Ingram UK Millionaire cheating scandal

TIER 2: Jim Peck's slip-and-fall on The Big Showdown, Mel Brooks' embarrassing encounter with Bill Cullen on Eye Guess, Kerry Ketchum/Patrick Quinn on Super Password, Mike Richards's J! hosting machinations, Professor Price

TIER 3: Bob Barker initially didn't want to host TPiR, Peter Tomarken's plane crash, George Peppard's P+ rant, Vanna White's miscarriage forcing an entire WoF puzzle to be edited, Thousand Dollar Bee, the "monsters" on early episodes of Supermarket Sweep

TIER 4: Monty Hall's claim that he created Password, TPiR throwing out an entire early episode due to a contestant's ineligibility, Katie Knudsen on ABC Millionaire, a losing contestant verbally abusing Meredith Vieira on syndie Millionaire
I would think Mike Richards would go up one if only because it became such a huge part of the news cycle.

Most of these, to me, belong in Tier 3 or 4. These are super obscure shows, like Thousand Dollar Bee, or facts that don't even make listicles, like claims about Monty Hall or Bob Barker. I didn't even know the Vanna miscarriage one.

I'd put the game show scandals in Tier 2. It's alluded to every now and then in the mainstream media, especially when discussing J! superchamps.

Was it ever confirmed that the "fourth row of the Winners Circle pyramid, hidden behind plywood" on The $10,000 Pyramid did / didn't exist?
I recall Dick Clark talking about it in one of the interviews for the Television Academy.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Nick

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2024, 10:59:09 AM »
I didn't even know the Vanna miscarriage one.

Yeah, I'm thinking if people are going to make a show of obscure facts they know, then they should provide the source of said information.

I recall Dick Clark talking about it in one of the interviews for the Television Academy.

I recall either Michael Brockman or Bob Boden also mentioning it in the recent Strong interview.  You look at that clip from the premiere week that's floating around, and it sure looks like they've covered up something there.
It was a golden age of daytime network television... Game Shows... Hosted by people who actually knew that the game was the star... And I wish it was still that way - both that game shows were on all morning and that they were hosted by actual game show hosts. - Bob Purse, Inches Per Second

Otm Shank

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2024, 12:03:03 PM »
I didn't even know the Vanna miscarriage one.

Yeah, I'm thinking if people are going to make a show of obscure facts they know, then they should provide the source of said information.

I remember that happening pre-internet days where there was a travel-themed package that aired after the first puzzle. Then at the end there was a still image of the contestant in a circle vignette in the corner with Pat saying something to the effect that "we played another puzzle" and who won for how much.

It would have made the newspapers (early '90s, I think), because I don't think it was hidden information for years that I only would have read online. The puzzle essentially was VANNA'S PREGNANT, which obviously could not air.

There is a source out there somewhere, because my teenage son who has a fascination with ephemerality mentioned it to me, although it was probably some YouTuber or listicle as his source.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2024, 12:32:21 PM »
News of Vanna's miscarriage (and the unfortunately timed puzzle) was covered and reported by the Associated Press in September of 1992.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2024, 01:12:15 PM »
News of Vanna's miscarriage (and the unfortunately timed puzzle) was covered and reported by the Associated Press in September of 1992.

A quick search to newspapers.com confirms this, as well as the puzzle that OtmShank noted.

Jsach

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2024, 03:12:19 PM »

This is the clip that aired in place of the round. The puzzle was "VANNA'S PREGNANT" and after it was solved Merv came out and handed Vanna some balloons. I had footage of this somewhere but I can't find it at this moment.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2024, 03:50:39 PM »
A clip of it was shown in one of the documentaries from the late 90s/early 00s, along with discussion of the miscarriage. I wanna say it was the Biography on Vanna White.

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2024, 04:18:35 PM »

Not sure, but this thread has a picture from the Cash on the Line pilot. As you can see it looks like a different board.

Looking at this pic, there is a gap between the bottom row and the plywood that presumably covers what could be the 4th row of boxes. Although I can't tell if there's a beveled edge under that first box, thus covering up what could be that 4th row.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2024, 04:30:10 PM »
Looking at this pic, there is a gap between the bottom row and the plywood that presumably covers what could be the 4th row of boxes. Although I can't tell if there's a beveled edge under that first box, thus covering up what could be that 4th row.

But by the point of the pic (the $20,000 era), they would be replicating what was done earlier, and leaving that gap/creating a line there was part of it. The better things to look at would be the earliest pictures of the ABC $10,000 version, or clips like this one from Wednesday of premiere week:

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Kevin Prather

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2024, 04:34:52 PM »
The better things to look at would be the earliest pictures of the ABC $10,000 version, or clips like this one from Wednesday of premiere week:

-Jason

Here's a better quality view from that first week, the second win in this opening.