Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: The Strange Genealogy of the Dating Show  (Read 1982 times)

SplitSecond

The Strange Genealogy of the Dating Show
« on: March 10, 2004, 05:02:22 AM »
Here's a commentary on the modern dating show, its evolution, and the contributions more traditional game shows have made:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4193228/

What are your thoughts?

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 06:33:44 AM »
What?!!?  No mention of "Blind Date '49" with Arlene or 1958's"Chance for Romance" with John Cameron Swayze??!!??
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 09:52:24 AM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 02:02 AM\']What are your thoughts?[/quote]
The author likes the word "snarky".

A fine recap for those of us who can't keep the shows straight, but the observations on the geneology of dating shows is clearly an outsider's. Love Connection was not about borrowing from GT audience voting (I guess the author is referring to the Super Match surveys on "Match Game" which became "Family Feud"). The motivation behind LC was the then new concept of computer matching. Involving the audience was an inspired afterthought when it became obvious that watching a computer's flashing lights was not compelling television.

Personally I think that any discussion about the genre's popularity has to include a mention of the economics. In their earlier incarnations dating shows were cheap programming. Barris' creation was more expensive than a test pattern, but less expensive than drama, talk or game show.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 02:31:35 PM »
and we already learned computer dating on television wasn't a hit with Dick Enberg's Perfect Match. The article was interesting, but a game fanatic he isn't.

(Hmm- as long as we're merging shows - what about Blind Date + The Price Is Right / Bid 'n Buy?)

SplitSecond

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 03:59:47 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 12:31 PM\'] (Hmm- as long as we're merging shows - what about Blind Date + The Price Is Right / Bid 'n Buy?) [/quote]
 I think the closest you're gonna get to that is the Hooker furniture Price already offers.

bclark71

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 09:17:36 PM »
I think the closest you're gonna get to that is the Hooker furniture Price already offers.

I said to the missus one night while watching Price that I wondered who made the decision to add "furniture" to the Hooker graphic.  There's nothing quite like seeing a close-up shot of a comely PiR model with a giant HOOKER on her face.

Did I just type "a giant hooker on her face"...?  

Gad.

tvrandywest

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 09:52:55 PM »
[quote name=\'bclark71\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 06:17 PM\'] There's nothing quite like seeing a close-up shot of a comely PiR model with a giant HOOKER on her face.
 [/quote]
 ... And hearing the announcer intone: "A lovely gentleman's chest"!!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 10:06:54 PM »
[quote name=\'bclark71\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 09:17 PM\']

I said to the missus one night while watching Price that I wondered who made the decision to add "furniture" to the Hooker graphic.  There's nothing quite like seeing a close-up shot of a comely PiR model with a giant HOOKER on her face.

[/quote]
 The Price must REALLY be Right in this instance. :-P
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Don Howard

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 01:40:31 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 10:06 PM\'] [quote name=\'bclark71\' date=\'Mar 10 2004, 09:17 PM\']

[/quote]
The Price must REALLY be Right in this instance. :-P [/quote]
 Betcha that costs more than a surfboard.

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 02:44:13 PM »
Another nitpick:

Mike Douglas (or Woody Fraiser and Roger Ailes, to be more exact) had asterisks all over the set four years before "The Dating Game" (when the show started as a local Cleveland show).  When I first saw "TDG," I thought they were ripping off of Douglas (especially since I lived in beautiful Cherry Hill, New Jersey back then and watched Mike on his second flagship station, KYW in Philadelphia--I even got to see it in person at the cramped studio in the basement of their old Walnut Street HQ in Center City Philadelphia--I still remember that Bobby Rydell was the co-host).

And everyone--Chuck Barris didn't create "TNG," Nick Nicholson and Roger Muir did--Barris just perfected it.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2004, 05:07:42 AM »
And boy did he EVER perfected it well!  There have been no other games quite like TNG since its inception in 1966 I think.  It's my favoritte of that ilk.