The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Hollywood Squares with Drew Barrymore coming in 2025

<< < (4/11) > >>

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: Neumms on May 03, 2024, 05:23:45 PM ---I’d put Drew up in Rose Marie’s square not Lynde’s, but maybe that’s just me.

For kicks, who are some names that might do well in the center square or a corner? I’d say Craig Ferguson has the chops. Was Nick Cannon good on Hip-Hop Squares? He’d have broad appeal.

--- End quote ---
For corner squares, it's been a few @fter Midnight guests who would do well IMO, not to mention Taylor Tomlinson. Thomas Lennon and Lisa Ann Walter come to mind, Weird Al, Wayne Brady, Drew Carey are a few others. I dunno if enough water has passed under the bridge, but maybe Whoopi in the center square?

MSTieScott:

--- Quote from: rebelwrest on May 03, 2024, 05:48:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Neumms on May 03, 2024, 05:29:37 PM ---The sane network

--- End quote ---

Ok, I think CBS has earned that title. So, which network earns the opposite title?

--- End quote ---

Whichever cable news network runs opposite your personal political views.

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on May 03, 2024, 06:00:14 PM --- I dunno if enough water has passed under the bridge, but maybe Whoopi in the center square?

--- End quote ---

Interesting as a thought exercise, although there's obviously no chance of it happening here, what with Whoopi holding court on an ABC show.

Which makes me wonder how much star power will be on display. Does CBS view this as a cross-promotional opportunity? If daytime star Drew Barrymore is in the center square, I'm guessing the lead actors from CBS's prime time lineup won't want to be put in a corner. Can CBS convince Drew Carey and/or Wayne Brady to do Hollywood Squares? (Drew Carey recently did After Midnight, so maybe?)

Other than Alec Baldwin, ABC's Match Game didn't boast A-list celebrities, so if the emphasis is on the comedy, then stacking the grid with lesser-known but very funny people would be the way to go. I'm sure CBS also doesn't want this to turn into "larger Funny You Should Ask."

TLEberle:
I will point out that Bob would have been just fifty I think when he started, and Drew I think in his forties. I'm just more annoyed by the "paging Mr. X" posts when it's just been announced. I'm quite happy to let the news come as it does. They'll do what they'll do. I think it's tricky to do Squares in a show by show basis because unless you go to town on the edit machine it's going to be tricky to play it as a race to three, you're losing either the jokes or the game play.

I think Craig would be marvelous at center, though you stand a good chance of him outshining the other eight.

TimK2003:

--- Quote from: rebelwrest on May 03, 2024, 05:48:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: Neumms on May 03, 2024, 05:29:37 PM ---

The sane network

--- End quote ---

Ok, I think CBS has earned that title. So, which network earns the opposite title?

/Please don't edit the original post.  That was funny.

--- End quote ---

I'd say Fox.  I know they've cranked out the most primetime shows over the years, but I believe they started the crazes of excessive pregnant pause before reveals, and generous spoiler scenes going into commercials.

JasonA1:

--- Quote from: TLEberle on May 03, 2024, 06:29:13 PM ---I think it's tricky to do Squares in a show by show basis because unless you go to town on the edit machine it's going to be tricky to play it as a race to three, you're losing either the jokes or the game play.
--- End quote ---

In a different discussion, I realized that showing the natural match to a wild card on Concentration never bumped me, because I grew up with the Trebek version. Similarly, playing Hollywood Squares to time has never bothered me, perhaps because my first exposures to it were all syndicated episodes that played that way. I think the last year of H2 was pretty fun, but it had more to do with the show settling into a different groove a'la Match Game in the '79-'82 syndie run. Moving to a best-of-3 match was part of the recipe, of course, but I don't think that lit a fire under everything else.

TL;DR, I think how they decide to score the Hollywood Squares gameplay should be lower on the priority list.

-Jason

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version