The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Hollywood Squares with Drew Barrymore coming in 2025

<< < (5/11) > >>

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: TimK2003 on May 03, 2024, 06:38:27 PM ---I'd say Fox.....I believe they started the crazes of excessive pregnant pause before reveals, and spoiler scenes going into commercials.

--- End quote ---
IIRC the pregnant pauses was NBC starting with Deal or No Deal, although I also remember them interrupting the big moment with a cut to commercial on Fear Factor. I believe you're right about Fox's spoiler scenes and the "You won't believe what happened next!" teases.

And to answer rebel's question, I vote NBC.

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: JasonA1 on May 03, 2024, 06:47:49 PM ---
--- Quote from: TLEberle on May 03, 2024, 06:29:13 PM ---I think it's tricky to do Squares in a show by show basis because unless you go to town on the edit machine it's going to be tricky to play it as a race to three, you're losing either the jokes or the game play.
--- End quote ---

In a different discussion, I realized that showing the natural match to a wild card on Concentration never bumped me, because I grew up with the Trebek version.
--- End quote ---
Same, and I get what you mean.

--- Quote ---Similarly, playing Hollywood Squares to time has never bothered me, perhaps because my first exposures to it were all syndicated episodes that played that way. I think the last year of H2 was pretty fun, but it had more to do with the show settling into a different groove a'la Match Game in the '79-'82 syndie run. Moving to a best-of-3 match was part of the recipe, of course, but I don't think that lit a fire under everything else.

TL;DR, I think how they decide to score the Hollywood Squares gameplay should be lower on the priority list.
--- End quote ---
Sure, I also get why each square was worth cash in the more recent versions to the point that it outshadowed actually winning the individual rounds. My point is always to warn against ignoring game play too much. For as paper-thin as the game was, Match Game offered up to $20,000 towards the end and the contestants deserve the best chance they can have to get to the end.

/nobody is watching After Midnight for the points; the jokes are the framework, not the other way around.

Neumms:
Idea for game play: Win a game, play for a car. There are three on stage: one everyday TPIR level, one $40,000-ish, one TPIR “dream car” level. Four stars have keys/remote keys/printed cards for the cheapest, three for the intermediate, two for the highest. “Pick a car and pick a star.” I’d hope they could fit three games in an hour. 

More ideas for stars: If James Corden is still in town, he might make a good square. Jeff Ross, or does he only work blue? Dan Levy is everywhere else so maybe here. JB Smoove did Baldwin Match Game and seems good with a one-liner.

I think I’d rather see Barrymore in the hosting chair than the center square, and not just if they announced her as “the mistress of the Hollywood Squares.”

BrandonFG:
Jeff Ross had a show on Comedy Central about a decade ago called “The Burn” where he basically ranted for half an hour. I’m sure they could bleep out anything too raunchy, and at 10 pm I imagine he wouldn’t be the only one who gets a little R-rated.

I could see him playing the Penn Jillette resident smartass.

Allstar87:

--- Quote from: Neumms on May 08, 2024, 11:50:13 AM ---Jeff Ross, or does he only work blue?

--- End quote ---

He became a semi-regular on Funny You Should Ask a couple years ago, and since then he's notched quite a few game show appearances under his belt. He could very easily do Squares...and I definitely hope he does! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version