The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Paul Walter Hauser to star in "Press Your Luck" movie

<< < (3/11) > >>

Dbacksfan12:

--- Quote from: Nick on May 09, 2024, 01:22:37 PM ---Can't help but notice the letters on the nametag should be bolder, though.
--- End quote ---
This is a ridiculous nit to pick.  Make sure you research the RBG code on the nametag for us to make sure that's 100% accurate too.

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: Nick on May 09, 2024, 01:22:37 PM ---The makeup department did a wonderful job making Hauser look like Larson.

Can't help but notice the letters on the nametag should be bolder, though.

--- End quote ---
It's a movie. The nametag shouldn't even be in your Top 100 things to look out for.

--- Quote ---Well, that's just it.  For its subject matter, the writers behind Quiz Show developed a plot out of more characters and events to fill around 130 minutes.

--- End quote ---
Per the IMDb trivia/goofs sections for Quiz Show:

The movie shows Van Doren defeating Stemple [sic] the first time he appeared on 21, but actually they played for several weeks, tying games to build suspense.

Know why their match was only one scene? Because stretching it out would've made it close to three hours and your audience would've been bored.

The film's epilogue says that Charles Van Doren never returned to teaching after the Quiz Show scandal. In fact, he taught for several years until his retirement...

(snip)

Know why he lost his job in the movie? Because it sounds more dramatic that way.

--- Quote ---For the Michael Larson story, you have a guy who worked his way onto a game show and caused an hour of pandemonium across two episodes (and just by doing the same thing over and over again, which I'm not sure how you translate that to screen in any fashion aside from just watching a recreation of the game he played; and how do you make that interesting?).  He doesn't have a backstory that's in any way fascinating (He was underemployed, and instead of investing his time in more constructive pursuits such as job hunting, he watched too much TV, though I guess he managed to make it pay off for himself). 

--- End quote ---
Vince Papale was a bartender who made his way onto an NFL team. Sounds pretty cut and dry, and yet they made a movie. 90% of the movie Rudy is about Rudy Ruettiger getting to play one down of a Notre Dame game. I'm sure they can find enough to pad this movie, esp. if they have the producers/CBS freaking out and trying to withhold money. Then the aftermath where Michael lets greed go to his head. I imagine the movie will have a darker tone.

This movie is not for the fanboys. Enjoy it for what it is and don't think too hard.

MSTieScott:
Even Game Show Network realized that they couldn't spend all two hours analyzing Larson's time in the studio, and that was a game show documentary on a game show network.

I would expect that the main plot of the movie would be a dramatization of Larson's experiences leading up to his appearance on the show and the aftermath of what happened once he received the money. There's only so much drama you can wring out of executives watching helplessly as a contestant repeatedly lands on money plus a spin.

Kevin Prather:

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on May 09, 2024, 03:03:50 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nick on May 09, 2024, 01:22:37 PM ---Can't help but notice the letters on the nametag should be bolder, though.
--- End quote ---
This is a ridiculous nit to pick.  Make sure you research the RBG code on the nametag for us to make sure that's 100% accurate too.

--- End quote ---

He probably hated Slumdog Millionaire because the money tree had the commas in the western format too.

Nick:

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on May 09, 2024, 03:12:16 PM ---It's a movie. The nametag shouldn't even be in your Top 100 things to look out for.
--- End quote ---

You are correct, but I happened to notice.  Just sayin'.

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on May 09, 2024, 03:12:16 PM ---Know why their match was only one scene? Because stretching it out would've made it close to three hours and your audience would've been bored.
--- End quote ---

Indeed they would have been, and I made the same point when I asked what you do in lieu of recreating the game because it would not make for a good film.

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on May 09, 2024, 03:12:16 PM ---This movie is not for the fanboys. Enjoy it for what it is and don't think too hard.

--- End quote ---

I know it's not for fanboys, and I never expected it to be.  Not sure what the condescending tone is about.

--- Quote from: Kevin Prather on May 09, 2024, 03:37:52 PM ---He probably hated Slumdog Millionaire because the money tree had the commas in the western format too.

--- End quote ---

Still haven't gotten around to watching that one.  Maybe someday...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version