The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Paul Walter Hauser to star in "Press Your Luck" movie

<< < (5/11) > >>

Neumms:
I’m tickled David Strathairn is in it. So good in Good Night and Good Luck and Eight Men Out. I hoped he’d play Peter, then discovered he’s in his 70s. (Yikes.)

trainman:
As I said on someone's Facebook post, looking at the cast list, the name that jumped out at me as a possible Tomarken was James Wolk (probably most famous as Bob Benson on "Mad Men"). Johnny Knoxville seems more like he would play Michael Larson's (fictional) best friend who helps him figure out the board pattern and is then sitting in the audience during the show -- something like that.

bulldog_06:
This PYL movie has a story here. Considering that this movie will be a drama will be interesting. It has the marks for it. I saw Buzzerblog make a post saying that they don't see how a guy sitting in front of a button getting to $100k isn't interesting. I would love to see how it got there in visualized form. How Larson got real crazy with the idea of going on the show, learning the patterns, how Bobby Edwards didn't trust him, how Bill Caruthers and CBS execs were nervous at how much money he won...plus the idea of him being a "cheater," the stamina that he had during the game when he began to wear down, and the aftermath of how he blew all of his winnings. Crazy as kept, and I'll be crazy here...this could be an Oscar-nominated film.

SamJ93:
Larson, to me, has always been a character type similar to that of Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul--a guy with some redeeming qualities, but who's been taught all the wrong lessons in life and works incredibly hard at all the wrong things. That sort of anti-hero can be compelling in the right storytelling hands, and I'll be interested to see how they pull it off here.

Ed and Jamie, Larson's opponents, are still alive AFAIK; it would be a neat little nod if they gave them non-speaking cameos at some point.

tyshaun1:

--- Quote from: trainman on May 10, 2024, 02:03:27 AM ---As I said on someone's Facebook post, looking at the cast list, the name that jumped out at me as a possible Tomarken was James Wolk (probably most famous as Bob Benson on "Mad Men"). Johnny Knoxville seems more like he would play Michael Larson's (fictional) best friend who helps him figure out the board pattern and is then sitting in the audience during the show -- something like that.

--- End quote ---
Larson DID have a benefactor who financed him getting out to LA so he could audition and later flew out with him to watch him do his thing. If you rewatch the episodes, you will observe him looking back to his left several times, presumably looking for advice on when to stop. Apparently the cash that was won was split between them for his efforts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version