The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Paul Walter Hauser to star in "Press Your Luck" movie

<< < (8/11) > >>

JasonA1:

--- Quote from: steveleb on May 11, 2024, 02:29:09 PM ---I aspire for folks to be smarter about their fandom.

--- End quote ---

Speaking as someone who's been on both sides of it, I think it's just as smart for people in the industry to remember that the audience doesn't care what the budget restrictions were, what Q score the host had, etc. etc. etc. If the show's good for the viewers across the country (not just the coasts), they watch. If it's not, they tune out.

And if the only thing one takes from the discussions here is the occasional nitpicking, then perhaps you're only looking to call that out. Sometimes the fun, for me at least, is getting into weeds that are frankly impractical. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think a lot of that discussion here is aspirational (i.e. "I wish they would [address this specific thing]..."). If I can't bring up those "what ifs" here, then where can I?

-Jason

Dbacksfan12:
In fairness, I think there’s a marked difference between “I wish they would refine the Punchboard matrix” versus someone commenting on whether or not a font is 100% accurate in a movie adaptation.

The first invites discussion.  The second (rightfully so, IMO) directs invective towards that individual poster.

I also thought Chris L was being sarcastic, but perhaps I misconstrued his post.

gamed121683:
The way I see it, it's kind of like movies based on books. How many times have you seen a novel based movie that follows the book's plot to the letter? I'm willing to bet it's virtually 0.

rjaguar3:
It might be more fruitful to consider such adaptations as artistic license (difficult as it may be for nonfiction material versus fiction).

Nick:

--- Quote from: JasonA1 on May 12, 2024, 02:13:52 AM ---Sometimes the fun, for me at least, is getting into weeds that are frankly impractical.
--- End quote ---

And that is, more or less, the approach from which I made my comment about the nametag font.  If it I didn't couple it with enough he hes or self-deprecating humour to highlight it was something that I happened to notice and remarked about from a, "Yeah, we would be the kind of people to notice such a detail, wouldn't we?" perspective, then I'll remember that the next time I attempt to make a remark in jest.  I think the other comments I have made on the subject at hand in this thread have clearly shown an overall positive attitude towards it and certainly not worthy of the invective I have received.

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on May 12, 2024, 08:42:09 AM ---In fairness, I think there’s a marked difference between “I wish they would refine the Punchboard matrix” versus someone commenting on whether or not a font is 100% accurate in a movie adaptation.

The first invites discussion.  The second (rightfully so, IMO) directs invective towards that individual poster.
--- End quote ---

And IMO, that's where you're wrong.

Disagreement is one thing.  Invective is another.  The first is a healthy part of discussion.  The second is not.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version