Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Plugging the next show....  (Read 1737 times)

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
Re: Plugging the next show....
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2024, 01:56:39 AM »
Not quite the same thing, but on primetime Millionaire Regis would often mention the next show in his sign-off.
I've also seen at least one epside from 1999 where the network announcer says "Stay tuned for The Drew Carey Show, next on ABC" over the credits.

Herein lies a fundamental difference in what we are talking about here.

What we are referring to on CBS et al. is the announcer/talent in studio saying it within the actual program.
The latter (as you describe) is done by a continuity/booth announcer on the night of air (or prerecorded and played back by master control) that is NOT baked into the episode.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2024, 12:19:50 PM »
The latter (as you describe) is done by a continuity/booth announcer on the night of air (or prerecorded and played back by master control) that is NOT baked into the episode.

And I'm guessing this practice became commonplace right around the time the other practice fell off.

danderson

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2024, 02:18:27 PM »
Yeah, now remembering further, I do recall some of those booth announcers on ABC/NBC doing the plugs. They were sually the case of the ABC guy / Brandt/Wendell/Pardo doing an aside after reading off the "Tonight on ABC/NBC" with the "Now stay tuned for Super Password with guest stars..."

Back in the 60s, at least on NBC, the show announcer would do it. I remember watching a Hollywood Squares ep where Kenny Williams did the tag.

You know, I'd wish NBC would have gone back to that in the 80s- would have been interesting to hear Jay Stewart or Charlie Tuna do the "Now stay tuned for Super Password with guest stars..." or Jack Clark doing that with Scrabble or Jay Stewart/Don Morrow doing that with Classic Concentration.

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2024, 07:21:49 PM »
You know, I'd wish NBC would have gone back to that in the 80s- would have been interesting to hear Jay Stewart or Charlie Tuna do the "Now stay tuned for Super Password with guest stars..." or Jack Clark doing that with Scrabble or Jay Stewart/Don Morrow doing that with Classic Concentration.
NBC's lineup, especially with affiliates moving shows around (time shifting, delaying) and shows airing on other stations altogether, or not at all. This would have made zero business sense and been very confusing to not only the viewers but to the personnel at stations as well. It was best that the practice died.

SuperMatch93

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2024, 02:43:00 PM »
Adjacent question: was there ever an instance of Johnny Olson inviting us to "stay tuned for The Price is Right, next over most of these CBS stations?"
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

TimK2003

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2024, 04:08:48 PM »
Yeah, now remembering further, I do recall some of those booth announcers on ABC/NBC doing the plugs. They were sually the case of the ABC guy / Brandt/Wendell/Pardo doing an aside after reading off the "Tonight on ABC/NBC" with the "Now stay tuned for Super Password with guest stars..."

Back in the 60s, at least on NBC, the show announcer would do it. I remember watching a Hollywood Squares ep where Kenny Williams did it.

Even though I don't recall any of the surviving eps of 3oaM having it, I swear I've heard Don Pardo saying "Stay Tuned for 'Days of Our Lives'" at one point in the run...although it is plausible he was in the live booth announcer seat while 3oaM was on and he he said it then.

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2024, 04:25:29 PM »
Adjacent question: was there ever an instance of Johnny Olson inviting us to "stay tuned for The Price is Right, next over most of these CBS stations?"
The closest I've found was Gene Wood (!) on Double Dare, which I didn't even know he announced. According to Nick and Greg Brobeck's site, DD led into TPiR starting in March 1977, but I'm not sure when Gene replaced Johnny.

The episode I found was from the last few weeks; all the March 77 eps. I found had GSN credit crunches.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

danderson

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2024, 08:23:27 AM »

Back in the 60s, at least on NBC, the show announcer would do it. I remember watching a Hollywood Squares ep where Kenny Williams did it.

Even though I don't recall any of the surviving eps of 3oaM having it, I swear I've heard Don Pardo saying "Stay Tuned for 'Days of Our Lives'" at one point in the run...although it is plausible he was in the live booth announcer seat while 3oaM was on and he he said it then.
Jay Stewart did it on Let's Make a Deal on NBC in the 60s. I remember because my grandmother would hear him say 'stay tuned for Days of Our Lives, next in color on NBC' during that era of LMAD (until LMAD left for ABC). Before 1966, he'd plug The Doctors, which followed LMAD (pretty sure that was the schedule then). I'll have to listen to be sure, but did Johnny O ever plug Edge of Night following daytime TTTT on CBS in the 60s?