Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: How soon are unused questions recycled back into gameplay?  (Read 3957 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Re: How soon are unused questions recycled back into gameplay?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2024, 04:41:57 PM »
Not just Bob, but any producer would weigh costs. Is it cheaper to box up, securely store, and fish out unused panels or just create a new one when needed? I would guess there were extra sets that were retained, or a few weeks' worth prepared in advance, but to have a whole library of them is probably more trouble than it's worth.

On the other hand, there was the unwritten rule that they would not flip to reveal a new box if there was 1 or sometimes 2 seconds left on the clock. So there was a deliberate recycling tactic in play, if only for the written game material, but possibly for the physical media.
This may not be the reason that Win Ben Stein's Money and Debt moved from pull cards and trilon blocks, but Ben's Money had a minimum of eight topics that were never going to be played, and Debt's early round usually revealed about two-thirds of the material. I don't know that the first seasons of each felt dated, but the switch to monitors must have made lots of things easier and cost-effective.
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2024, 06:51:54 PM »
I would think that every preposition in a proper noun or title.was fair game (i.e. "Gone WITH The Wind", "United States OF America,...)

A deck of cards could be buzzable, since you can eliminate.the preposition by saying "A (Fresh) Card Deck".

But if the category was "WINK MARTINDALE SONGS"...

Kevin Prather

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2024, 09:15:24 PM »
A deck of cards could be buzzable, since you can eliminate.the preposition by saying "A (Fresh) Card Deck".

Are you seriously saying that the literal judge of 80s Pyramid is wrong? Like, the person who actually did it for all those years? You think you know more than she does? Is that what you're saying right now?

TimK2003

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2024, 10:35:37 PM »

Are you seriously saying that the literal judge of 80s Pyramid is wrong? Like, the person who actually did it for all those years? You think you know more than she does? Is that what you're saying right now?

I didn't say it was 100% illegal, I was stating that it COULD have been buzzed, depending on the demeanor of the judge and perhaps where on the WC it was.  I seem to recall other similar prepositioned descriptions that were buzzed, and Dick Clark saying explaining could have got around the potential trap if they phrased it differently (ie. A gun-toting man vs. A man with a gun for Things In A Bank Robbery)

Loogaroo

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2024, 04:24:26 PM »
I think it's been pretty well established that when "of" is used to indicate either a quantity or identity (A suit of armor, the Statue of Liberty), it's OK, but when "of the" is used to point out part of a whole (the middle of the road, the collar of a shirt), it gets a buzz.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2024, 05:03:52 PM »
I didn't say it was 100% illegal, I was stating that it COULD have been buzzed, depending on the demeanor of the judge and perhaps where on the WC it was.  I seem to recall other similar prepositioned descriptions that were buzzed, and Dick Clark saying explaining could have got around the potential trap if they phrased it differently (ie. A gun-toting man vs. A man with a gun for Things In A Bank Robbery)
It shouldn't make a difference if the judge is Frannie Bergman or Angel Hernandez.

Ok, bad example. Or Ed Hochuli.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2024, 06:27:31 PM »
Could have used Tim Donaghy and promised him a 10% cut.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2024, 03:11:00 PM »
I would think that every preposition in a proper noun or title.was fair game (i.e. "Gone WITH The Wind", "United States OF America,...)

I think you're pointing out why, too: because in the case of a proper noun the word isn't being used *AS* a preposition; it's part of the noun itself.

Yeah, here's where the grass starts to grow very, very green.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe