Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Plugging the next show....  (Read 1687 times)

carlisle96

Plugging the next show....
« on: June 21, 2024, 02:06:07 PM »
Just curious: When did the networks stop promoting the next show on the schedule during the closing credits: "Stay tuned for "Tattletales' (or whatever) next over most of these CBS stations."

BrandonFG

Re: Plugging the next show....
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2024, 02:47:51 PM »
In the case of CBS, sometime in the 1980-81 season. I just looked up two TPiR closings from October 1980 and March of ‘81, and it was gone by that spring.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2024, 11:18:03 AM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Ian Wallis

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2024, 03:10:17 PM »
The other networks stopped for the most part by the early '70s, based on w/o/c shows in the circuit.

What I remember is towards the end, once 12 noon went local on CBS, Johnny started saying "please stay tuned for Search For Tomorrow one half-hour from now on most of these CBS stations".
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2024, 04:39:25 PM »
The other networks stopped for the most part by the early '70s, based on w/o/c shows in the circuit.

What I remember is towards the end, once 12 noon went local on CBS, Johnny started saying "please stay tuned for Search For Tomorrow one half-hour from now on most of these CBS stations".
Yeah, Search for Tomorrow was the last show on Price to have that honor. Time shifting was become more and more of a thing by 1981, I'm surprised CBS kept doing it that long.

I have been watching a few shows from late 1977 where Johnny was overdubbed on this exact thing because of CBS quickly undoing time slot changes putting Match Game back in the afternoon. They had to change it back to Love of Life instead. The edits were very obvious.

TimK2003

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2024, 06:32:11 PM »
I want to say that CBS was the last to ditch the spiel.

I think ABC was the first in the mid-70s, then NBC.

Mr. Matté

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2024, 08:50:47 PM »
I thought CBS was really the only one where the announcer would regularly do it. Money Maze for example was plugged by Jim Peck on TBSD ep that exists.

mmb5

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2024, 08:58:47 PM »
Wouldn't the CBS demise be related to 12:00 becoming affiliate time, so there was nothing to announce.
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

TimK2003

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2024, 09:05:19 PM »
I thought CBS was really the only one where the announcer would regularly do it. Money Maze for example was plugged by Jim Peck on TBSD ep that exists.

it seems ABC did a combination of on-show announcements (like mentioned above) and network booth announcers over the closing credits.  Might have been spotty due to ABC being the weakest network as many affiliates  pre-empted or time/day shifted programming,  as discussed in a previous thread. 

Mr. Matté

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2024, 05:08:10 AM »
Yeah, now remembering further, I do recall some of those booth announcers on ABC/NBC doing the plugs. They were sually the case of the ABC guy / Brandt/Wendell/Pardo doing an aside after reading off the "Tonight on ABC/NBC" with the "Now stay tuned for Super Password with guest stars..."

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2024, 09:18:00 AM »
I can say that ABC did next show plugs as late as 1990/1991.......Our local ABC affiliate (one of many that did), pre-empted MG90, and would kill the audio during the credits, but occasionally after the primetime plugs, it would sneak through - "Now stay tuned for the Match Game."

That Don Guy

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2024, 10:23:48 AM »

Strange - I always remember The Money Maze being on right before The Big Showdown. That may have been part of the problem - ABC's schedule was almost completely different in the east than it was on the west; I remember Monty Hall reminding viewers that LMAD was moving to a new time in the east, but would be remaining at its 1:30 time in the west. I do remember Allen Ludden personally plugging Split Second at the end of Password, and I want to say it was early 1994 (it was definitely pre-All Stars).

BillCullen1

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2024, 10:28:39 AM »
I do remember Allen Ludden personally plugging Split Second at the end of Password, and I want to say it was early 1994 (it was definitely pre-All Stars).

You mean 1974.

Ian Wallis

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2024, 03:06:06 PM »
I do remember Allen Ludden personally plugging Split Second at the end of Password

I remember that too, and he especially made a point of it whenever Tom Kennedy was a guest player.  I recall at least one Split Second where Tom said "I just ran over from the other studio..."  As a kid, I believed it (although I didn't notice that it was likely a different suit he was wearing)!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

thomas_meighan

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2024, 08:21:36 PM »
Wouldn't the CBS demise be related to 12:00 becoming affiliate time, so there was nothing to announce.

On the circulating TPIR episodes from the fall of 1979, Johnny's announcement is "Stay tuned for 'Search for Tomorrow,' one half-hour from now..." (don't know if it was handled differently in the April-June 1979 timeframe). It makes me wonder if CBS was offering different Y&R feeds even before its expansion to an hour (and switch from noon to 1-2 p.m.) in February 1980.

On YT there's an episode of "Love of Life" from July 1975 and Ken Roberts does plug Y&R "following the news, over most of these CBS stations."

SuperMatch93

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2024, 01:48:44 AM »
Not quite the same thing, but on primetime Millionaire Regis would often mention the next show in his sign-off.
I've also seen at least one epside from 1999 where the network announcer says "Stay tuned for The Drew Carey Show, next on ABC" over the credits.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983