The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Accidentally aired pilots

<< < (3/6) > >>

gameshowfan2001:
The first taped Cram wasn't meant to air?

JasonA1:
GSN, and probably some other places I can't think of now, had a habit of doing that. They'd tape a couple episodes, figure some things out, and change course for the remainder of the run, burying the "test" results late in the airing season. To wit, Idiotest had a different bonus round with 5 questions in 60 seconds, rather than one test both players tackled. The first two taped episodes of Whammy! had the players start on 0, rather than with $1,000.

And I managed to find my old website that detailed some of the other Cram rules. "The Rant" had 10 ideas to match vs. 8 words or phrases, and teams started with 0 points. In one round 2 variant, the player answering Graham's questions had to stand on a question mark to do so. That resulted in a lot of dead air vs. the later way of doing things where they alternated no matter where they were standing. And they had another version where the 10-points-per-question was only scored if the team managed to do 2 things right in the stunt, with a bonus of doubling all the question points if they played the stunt perfectly.

-Jason

Ian Wallis:
Since purposely aired pilots have been brought up, I'll throw in another one:  Guinness Game.  It aired in syndication during spring 1979.  I don't think it was ever repeated as part of the series as I don't recall seeing it again, and I watched it every week.

Oddly, the station that aired the pilot in my area never picked up the series.  I had to see it on a more distant station instead, which never aired the pilot!

MikeK:
What may have been a pilot for Win Ben Stein's Money aired during the first season.  There were small changes compared to what made it to series, the biggest difference being a tie with Ben in the Best of Ten was worth $5000 instead of an additional $1000.

Matt Ottinger:

--- Quote from: MikeK on July 04, 2024, 01:45:19 PM ---What may have been a pilot for Win Ben Stein's Money aired during the first season.  There were small changes compared to what made it to series, the biggest difference being a tie with Ben in the Best of Ten was worth $5000 instead of an additional $1000.
--- End quote ---

Pardon the detour, and also pardon a trip into the "not your money" department, but the $1000 never made sense to me.  You tie, you get half.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version