Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recycled Game-Show Sets  (Read 1595 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Re: Recycled Game-Show Sets
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2024, 02:59:32 PM »
The set for Tattletales II was new construction.

The FF set had warped in places but they used it anyway when it moved to CBS just as Ray Combs was coming in.

steveleb

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2024, 08:53:28 PM »
My understanding is the 70s newlywed set was at least in part the same.  Years after it concluded the original backdrop curtain was still visible on a Ktla soundstage when I attended some taping, and one of the studio workers contended it was the original set piece.

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2024, 11:09:15 PM »
My understanding is the 70s newlywed set was at least in part the same.  Years after it concluded the original backdrop curtain was still visible on a Ktla soundstage when I attended some taping, and one of the studio workers contended it was the original set piece.

True. You usually briefly saw the Newlywed Game "forest" backdrop at the beginning of most episodes on Dick Clark's version of It Takes Two, when they panned the audience.

https://youtu.be/WLt_ww_HTNY?feature=shared

At about the 1:30 mark...

Stackertosh

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2024, 12:39:05 AM »
I thought the old Navy Family Fleece Commercials repurposed  the combs and Dawson return set pieces?

https://youtu.be/l_a9xz6rT9Q?si=qX4EaQdtm2Bww12l

Weakest Link set used for the Dirty Rotten Cheater Pilot
I believe Whammy used Card Sharks 01 set pieces.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2024, 03:04:20 AM »
I thought the old Navy Family Fleece Commercials repurposed  the combs and Dawson return set pieces?

https://youtu.be/l_a9xz6rT9Q?si=qX4EaQdtm2Bww12l
Definitely not--the faceoff podium can't be the real one (Combs coloring with Dawson light-up, and I can tell you first-hand that the lockout lights from Combs' run have never been replaced in the real one). tthe three-digit bank readout on top gives the gameboard away as being a recreation. The contestant desks are DAMN good if they aren't the real ones, but I strongly suspect that the real desks of that design wound up in the dumpster when the Bullseye format was introduced.

alfonzos

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2024, 09:42:58 AM »
Jack Narz Concentration reused many set pieces and the game board from New York.

It is my understanding that the entire game board and price racks were shipped from New York to Los Angeles. The machinery in each trilon was replaced which is why they rotate faster than in the original series. The original control panel was used but it became unreliable with age which is why the director cuts away from the game board after non-match.
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2024, 09:43:45 AM »
IIRC the Feud commercial set was used as a display in the Chicago or NYC Old Navy stores. I was in New York in spring/summer of ‘03 and wanna say I remember seeing the display.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #22 on: Today at 12:06:17 AM »
Jack Narz Concentration reused many set pieces and the game board from New York.

It is my understanding that the entire game board and price racks were shipped from New York to Los Angeles. The machinery in each trilon was replaced which is why they rotate faster than in the original series. The original control panel was used but it became unreliable with age which is why the director cuts away from the game board after non-match.

A completely new controller was built per Ev Penn.

gsfan85

« Reply #23 on: Today at 07:24:30 AM »
A couple to add to the mix here:

Food Network had two 1-season game shows.  First "Pressure Cooker."  A year later, a show called "Taste Test" used an updated set.

Sports Geniuses on FOX Sports used the same podiums as Vs. on Comedy Central.