Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Recycled Game-Show Sets  (Read 997 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Recycled Game-Show Sets
« on: July 02, 2024, 04:34:55 PM »
Is anyone aware of game show sets that were kept/stored after a show was cancelled on the possibility that the show might go back into production?

After the first run of Battlestars, per NBC's advice the original set was saved and reused for the second run.

Jack Narz Concentration reused many set pieces and the game board from New York.

New sets were built for the second runs of Tattletales and Card Sharks.

SuperMatch93

Re: Recycled Game-Show Sets
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2024, 04:50:20 PM »
Not the whole set, but the Ferranti-Packard board from Dawson Feud was put into storage and re-used when the show started back up a few years later.

Did the Concentration board made the move to LA, Chris? In confirming the above info, I found this post from you:

It's a shame they junked the old Concentration board and the prize slips.

When Concentration moved to California they redesigned the controller and I understand they ultimately built a new board based on the same design as the original one, except the trilons turned faster.
-William https://dekochunterzz.bandcamp.com/
"30 years from now, people won’t care what we’re doing right now." - Bob Barker on The Price is Right, 1983

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2024, 05:02:09 PM »
Supermarket Sweep's contestant island and all of the large signs on the walls made the transition from 1995 to 2000, so those must have been sitting in storage for a while.

Winkfan

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2024, 05:10:51 PM »

"No" on the first one; they only replicated the original set.

Cordially,
Tammy
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2024, 07:33:10 PM »

"No" on the first one; they only replicated the original set.
How is that any different from what Chris said?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2024, 07:39:44 PM »
Not the whole set, but the Ferranti-Packard board from Dawson Feud was put into storage and re-used when the show started back up a few years later.

Do we have a source for this? The board ran a LOT faster on the rebooted show; obviously the controller was updated, but I'd be surprised if the same electronics in the gameboard were handling that performance jump.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2024, 07:46:14 PM »
The story I recall was it was the same board with new guts, if that makes sense. I’m not very tech-savvy so I’m not sure how that would work. I wanna say Randy West told that story on his Facebook.

EDIT: guts not guys. Typing too fast after a nap.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 10:04:03 PM by BrandonFG »
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Casey

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2024, 07:47:44 PM »
I feel like we had a discussion a while back about the Family Feud board where the original computer from Dawson's era was replaced mid run (it runs a bit faster in the later years most noticeably covering up and revealing the first person's answers).  The Ray Combs' pilot seems like it was the same as the later Dawson years, but the series was much faster. 

Are we sure the whole (or most) of the Family Feud set wasn't "remodeled" for Dawson's run?  If you look at some of the light bulbs where they aren't perfectly even (noticeable around the score readouts), they seem to be exactly the same (both not perfectly even in the same way) - with the only noticeable difference to me is an additional row of lights along the bottom of the trilon, and they are synchronized much better on Combs' version.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2024, 09:55:03 PM »
The Ray Combs Fast Money board was an updated version of the original board. The National Archives of Game Show History now has the Ray Combs board and Corey Cooper came to the museum to get it back up and running. In his Facebook post about it, Corey referred to Dawson's Fast Money board as "the older brother" of the one we have.

aaron sica

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2024, 10:13:24 PM »
I’ve always wondered about this…was the set for Davidson Pyramid rebuilt? The trilons and the flashing $100,000 sign look slightly different.

steveleb

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2024, 03:47:31 AM »
It was indeed a new set.  Notice the $100,000 sign was not backlit and did not flash. 

KrisW73

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2024, 11:09:54 AM »
Is anyone aware of game show sets that were kept/stored after a show was cancelled on the possibility that the show might go back into production?

I believe the Dawson FF was in storage but CBS couldn't use it for Combs as it had been stored outside and became warped.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2024, 02:04:15 PM »
I've been wondering about the 1993 "Scrabble" and the giant cube; given the (reportedly) hefty cost of its construction, I can only assume they reused the 80s cube and just refreshed it for the newer series.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2024, 08:08:01 PM »

I believe the Dawson FF was in storage but CBS couldn't use it for Combs as it had been stored outside and became warped.
The faceoff podium was the same one, believe it or not; they just refurbished the crap out of it with new colors and new lights.

Neumms

« Reply #14 on: Today at 04:48:19 AM »
Does anyone know if the ABC sets for the Newlywed and Dating Games were kept and used for the syndicated revivals? They looked the same, which is to say, worn and dated.