The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

TPiR: Would You Rather…

<< < (6/7) > >>

Nick:

--- Quote from: MSTieScott on July 08, 2024, 04:36:22 PM ---Meanwhile, the eligibility requirements for Let's Make a Deal say that contestants can return after just three years. Granted, the majority of Let's Make a Deal contestants can only win one mid-tier prize, but when I see a contestant introduce themselves with "I was here three years ago," that feels wrong somehow.

--- End quote ---

The biggest part of this that seems wrong to me is that, if the show is being so generous to welcome back repeat contestants so soon, then their audience (and portion of that audience that will actually make the trek out to LA to see the show in person) is simply not big enough.  I understand that Let's Make a Deal is so far past its prime that you'll never face a year-long waitlist for tickets the way people did in the '70s, but you want to be attracting enough people coming even once that you don't have to pick repeat contestants.

Same goes for Price.  I know things were a bit slow at the start of the season just ended, but it seems by the end they were filling up each day with no need for paid seat-fillers, though they are working with half the studio audience they used to.  If anyone happens to know, what's the situation over at Let's Make a Deal?  How was their attendance over the past year, and how often did they need to pay seat fillers?

chris319:
Is there still a CBS Standards and Practices rep at tapings of LMAD and TPIR? I believe there is a Sullivan Compliance rep at J! and WOF.

I know how they used to check eligibility for TPIR but have never posted it here.

Mr. Brown:

--- Quote from: Nick on July 09, 2024, 03:38:13 PM ---If anyone happens to know, what's the situation over at Let's Make a Deal?  How was their attendance over the past year, and how often did they need to pay seat fillers?

--- End quote ---

I don't know the situation at Deal, but I do think it is interesting that they never went back to pre-COVID seating: we still have the pods. Maybe that's because the demand for tickets isn't there?

TimK2003:

--- Quote from: Nick on July 09, 2024, 03:38:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: MSTieScott on July 08, 2024, 04:36:22 PM ---Meanwhile, the eligibility requirements for Let's Make a Deal say that contestants can return after just three years. Granted, the majority of Let's Make a Deal contestants can only win one mid-tier prize, but when I see a contestant introduce themselves with "I was here three years ago," that feels wrong somehow.

--- End quote ---

The biggest part of this that seems wrong to me is that, if the show is being so generous to welcome back repeat contestants so soon, then their audience (and portion of that audience that will actually make the trek out to LA to see the show in person) is simply not big enough.  I understand that Let's Make a Deal is so far past its prime that you'll never face a year-long waitlist for tickets the way people did in the '70s, but you want to be attracting enough people coming even once that you don't have to pick repeat contestants.

Same goes for Price.  I know things were a bit slow at the start of the season just ended, but it seems by the end they were filling up each day with no need for paid seat-fillers, though they are working with half the studio audience they used to.  If anyone happens to know, what's the situation over at Let's Make a Deal?  How was their attendance over the past year, and how often did they need to pay seat fillers?

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Mr. Brown on July 09, 2024, 04:39:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nick on July 09, 2024, 03:38:13 PM ---If anyone happens to know, what's the situation over at Let's Make a Deal?  How was their attendance over the past year, and how often did they need to pay seat fillers?

--- End quote ---

I don't know the situation at Deal, but I do think it is interesting that they never went back to pre-COVID seating: we still have the pods. Maybe that's because the demand for tickets isn't there?

--- End quote ---

Keep in mind that in the Monty Hall-hosted LMADs of the 60's, 70s and 80s, the bulk of the audience came to the show to SEE the show and not to be a potential contestant -- hence the lack of costumed contestants above the trading floor.  Occasionally, you would see a overflow of costumed contestants who were not picked for the trading floor and would sit up close in the "upper level" seating. 

Taking the non-costumed audience equation out of the show, you don't have as many seat fillers as you did in Monty's era.

BTW, in the Monty years, what were the eligibility rules if you made it to the trading floor seating and either A) didn't participate in a main game deal or B) if you got to play a quickie deal at the show's end?  Were you able to return as a potential contestant on future episodes until picked?

SuperSweeper:

--- Quote from: Mr. Brown on July 09, 2024, 04:39:42 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Re-sharing what I wrote in a similar thread a few months ago...

Hollywood's COVID protocols ended in early May 2023, IIRC, and I believe the current season of LMaD started taping around that time or slightly beforehand. It was probably easier for them to choose this current setup (pods, but with more people) as a solution and stick with it for continuity purposes for the entire season.

They were still doing the COVID-era pre-screening for this entire season, as well - only those who went through that process were invited to the studio. No general audience tickets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version