Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud and ABC  (Read 2390 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Family Feud and ABC
« on: March 16, 2004, 09:28:32 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 09:44 AM\'] Not so laughable is that Family Feud almost wasn't an ABC show for somewhat similar reasons, and that ABC never got a look at the Puzzlers pilot, but that is grist for another thread.
I'll be waiting for that story. :-)[/quote]
Very simply, the head of daytime programming for ABC at the time objected to the "steal". She felt there was inequity in one family being able to take the points after the other family had done all the heavy lifting. Goodson countered that it added drama to the game and provided a logical way to finish a question. ABC wanted it out. Goodson wanted it in. ABC insisted that it come out. Goodson stood fast. ABC said it really, really had to come out. Goodson said either the show was done his way or not at all, the implication being that he had two other networks he could shop it to. This was when Fred Silverman was head of ABC. I don't know if Silverman became involved but it is entirely possible, given Silverman's respect for Goodson as a producer and his desire to keep his business relationship with G-T intact. In the end Goodson got his way and ABC profited handsomely from the decision. Just a few years later Silverman surfaced at NBC where he tapped G-T for a number of shows.

In 1980 G-T did a pilot for NBC called Puzzlers. NBC passed on it, and after the appropriate amount of time had elapsed a run-thru was done for CBS, who also passed. I asked if it would be shown to ABC and was told flat out, "We don't deal with ABC." I asked why and got the story related above.

While we're on the topic of Family Feud, I watched a few minutes of it last night with Richard Karn and darn near hurled.

RICHARD: I'm going to double the points!

AUDIENCE: Yaaaaaaaay!

Only a genuine Armor Star Ham would pander for applause like that. Uh oh, gotta run, I'm gonna ...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 11:27:23 AM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

Family Feud and ABC
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 10:45:23 PM »
It's always interesting to find out about the behind-the-scenes machinations of the network business.  Maybe there was something personal between G-T and ABC which must have happened over time because ABC got Goodson back on network TV with the Password revival and had at least one show on the sked every year until the end of the FF in 85.  Attitudes must have changed by the time of Trivia Trap.  NBC didn't do business with G-T at the network level from the end of MG in 69 until Card Sharks in 78.  CBS didn't have a G-T show between the end of Collyer's TTTT in 68 and TPIR in 72.  Does anyone know the reasons for the switches of Cullen's TPIR and Missing Links from NBC to ABC?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

The Ol' Guy

Family Feud and ABC
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 11:01:09 PM »
I'd be interested in knowing why, too - was it the same situation as Let's Make A Deal where Monty says that ABC was willing to open the checkbook wide to get a proven show? I enjoyed the G-T trio on ABC - Price, Get The Message and Missing Links.
Anyway, the other reason for scribbling - in The Game Show Pilot Light, the TKO pilot is reported to have been made for ABC in, what, 1989? Had changes of heart and/or personnel at either GT or ABC make for this pilot agreement?

BrandonFG

Family Feud and ABC
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 11:21:29 AM »
[story snipped]

While we're on the topic of Family Feud, I watched a few minutes of it last night with Richard Karn and darn near hurled.
Cool story...thanks!

And in regards to the Karn Feud, I've vented frustrations as well over the audience's cheering for the slightest things. Good to know I'm not alone.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

joshg

Family Feud and ABC
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 12:53:56 PM »
So, was "The Better Sex" a mea culpa from ABC because of the issue they made with the 'steal'? Or was that show quickly forgotten around the G-T offices?

Slightly off topic to Moderator Chris; were G-T staff members free to work on different shows at the same time if they wanted to or was there a firm 'one show per staffer' rule? (I'm thinking of Roger Dob working on TPIR as well as Match Game and Now You See It at various times...)
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

uncamark

Family Feud and ABC
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 04:07:20 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Mar 16 2004, 11:01 PM\']I'd be interested in knowing why, too - was it the same situation as Let's Make A Deal where Monty says that ABC was willing to open the checkbook wide to get a proven show?[/quote]
I had heard that the straw that broke the camel's back with Monty and NBC was the network's refusal to give them a prime time slot in 1968 (which went to "Hollywood Squares" instead).  That caused he and Stefan to shop around to the other networks.

And as for Karn and "Feud," yeah, it's cheesy, but don't blame Karn--they'd be doing it if Louie were still around or if anyone else was up there.  It's the showrunner who's telling Burton to cue the crowd at "I'm doubling/tripling the points!", not Karn--not to mention the cheering at every mention of $20,000, which was cheesy when Eubanks said "$100,000 in cash and prizes!" on "Diamond Head Game" in 1975 and is still cheesy today.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Family Feud and ABC
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 05:17:12 PM »
And as for Karn and "Feud," yeah, it's cheesy, but don't blame Karn--they'd be doing it if Louie were still around or if anyone else was up there. It's the showrunner who's telling Burton to cue the crowd at "I'm doubling/tripling the points!", not Karn--not to mention the cheering at every mention of $20,000, which was cheesy when Eubanks said "$100,000 in cash and prizes!" on "Diamond Head Game" in 1975 and is still cheesy today.
My gripe isn't with the audience, it's with Karn. He is just plain awful. He shouts his way through every show. It appears to me that he has changed some stage business to his favor. He does not have the humor or wit of any of the previous emcees. He doesn't do "warmth", as Bill Todman would put it. Criminy sakes, aren't those reasons enough that he shouldn't be emceeing FF or does he have to be an axe murderer as well?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Family Feud and ABC
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 05:25:46 PM »
There was no "one show per staffer" rule. People could work on as many shows as they could fit into their workload, which is how I came to write for Mindreaders and research for Blockbusters. At one time Paul Alter was directing daytime FF and nighttime FF, as well as producing and directing All New BTC. I figure he was pulling in upwards of $5,000 per week in late '70s dollars, in addition to his six-figure Xmas bonus.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 07:44:12 PM by chris319 »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Family Feud and ABC
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 11:58:43 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Mar 17 2004, 04:25 PM\'] There was no "one show per staffer" rule. People could work on as many shows as they could fit into their workload, which is how I came to write for Mindreaders and research for Blockbusters. [/quote]
 I do not mean to cause any conflict with this response, but even so, there was a ten-month difference (give or take a couple of weeks) from the ending airdate of MINDREADERS to the beginning airdate of BLOCKBUSTERS (and it's conceivable that BB might not have seen the light of day had Dave Letterman been more successful with his morning show).  So out of curiosity, when was the pilot of BB compared to when shows for air were actually taped?

And you were still with P+ at this point, yes?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)