The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

2024 USA Today Game Show Articles

<< < (8/9) > >>

Dbacksfan12:

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on July 27, 2024, 11:08:10 AM ---so again I ask what audience is NBC trying to reach?
--- End quote ---
Not saying there’s zero overlap in the Venn diagram between “Interested in athletics” and “Swifties”, but my guess is Swifties.

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on July 21, 2024, 10:27:21 PM ---A nit to pick:  Her information on NTT was inaccurate as to when it first aired.  Two minutes of research would have prevented this.  Also, I noticed that author said Password is “only” played for $25K.  Glad she’s swimming in money.
--- End quote ---
When The Wall has a possible eight-digit grand prize and weakest Link has a $500,000 round six, twenty-five grand feels picayune. I wish that the show would allow players to play three or four games in an hour and thus have that chance to win more., but they don't. There's other things I don't like about the new iteration but that prizing structure does hit the podium.

I think the third season of American Gladiators was perfect in terms of having seven events (I forget if the Eliminator was seven or eight?) but also being able to flesh out all four contenders and also spotlighting the Gladiators. For me, content is king. If you can reasonably replace interviews or check-ins with your celebrity guests with another round or a more satisfying tiebreaker, I would prefer more game. Most contestants will be gone after the conclusion of the show, and in most cases forgotten. I will find out whatever I care about their personality through the play of the game/

For the new Name That Tune, it felt like so much of what worked was cast aside. Bid-a-Note's song values overpowered anything from earlier rounds and Melody Roulette was essentially jumbling the money amounts from $1,000 to $6,000 rather having an actual carnival wheel. For as much that Beat Shazam does that irks me, it feels like a more complete presentation, and watching celebrities play a game where a wrong guess in Golden Medley is treated like an oopsie, keep trying, I'll move on because they've lost me.

MSTieScott:

--- Quote from: TLEberle on July 27, 2024, 08:36:08 PM ---When The Wall has a possible eight-digit grand prize and weakest Link has a $500,000 round six, twenty-five grand feels picayune. I wish that the show would allow players to play three or four games in an hour and thus have that chance to win more., but they don't.

--- End quote ---

I don't watch Password, but my instinct is that they would want to make the bonus round easy enough that the contestant wins nearly every time. If I'm right, that's $50,000 an hour. According to the fandom.com wiki-keepers, the current version of Weakest Link is averaging a little more than $60,000 per episode, so there actually isn't much of a difference between the two. It's all a side effect of shows advertising nigh-impossible-to-win grand prizes ruining things for shows that want to present a lot of happy winners.

For Password, the next natural-sounding grand prize amount would be $50,000. I'm guessing the network doesn't want to open its pocketbook by that much.

Joe Mello:

--- Quote from: BrandonFG on July 27, 2024, 11:08:10 AM ---so again I ask what audience is NBC trying to reach?
--- End quote ---
The OC and CC usually have a high level of abstraction, and in theory both Manning and Clarkson's skills of being approachable while having a high level of institutional knowledge should be able to help de-mystify the proceedings. Clarkson should be able to comment on the performances and Manning would be able to provide an athlete's perspective on both the spectacle and what will happen with the athletes both before and after the ceremonies.

My take having watched the whole thing as part of a group is that a good plan did not survive first contact with the ceremony (although Manning doing a bit was never going to work).

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: JasonA1 on July 22, 2024, 05:34:51 PM ---I was thinking there had to be a reason Name That Tune was getting multiple seasons, but not a lot of love on this board. What about the show makes you want to rank it lower?
--- End quote ---
"Name that tune."
(band plays a snippet.)
(Finalist signals, band stops.)
"Pass."
Audience: "ooooh."

The 70s and 80s iterations weren't set up for reaction shots other than finding the players, but the FOX version is worse for it. Yes, we know that a passed tune will need to be guessed on another time through the rotation, and we can actually see dots on screen to indicate which songs have been guessed successfully. (That's actually not terrible or a knock as the old show had the countdown ring).

Hold a shot on the contestant and break away after a signal. Keep the round moving and don't reset the situation unless it's one to win the bonus or time is short. (that might be something that a good host will know, or a producer/director can feed via IFB). Just because Millionaire brought the crowd into view doesn't mean I want to see their reaction as opposed to the contestant.

The game was fine and there was a nice mix of gettable and recognizable songs that someone who pays attention to the radio should have no issue identifying. Everything else detracted from the final product.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version