The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

2024 USA Today Game Show Articles

<< < (2/9) > >>

Kevin Prather:

--- Quote ---Although Oswalt is funny, the format is pretty dull, with overly complicated questions that aren't fun to play along with at home...
--- End quote ---

I have several friends who have never gotten in to game shows in the past who would disagree. They are absolutely loving playing along with this game.

steveleb:
Kiki has grown on me as bas the format.  Look let’s be real—this format was all but dead until Fallon started his skits.  Given the age of the MDP audience I dare say no one under 60 save for these readers had any fond memories .  This is that execution with a real game overlay and people who are savvy enough to inject callouts to virtually every format the show ever had—even the “betting word” of the 70s abc version which the redemption word effectively is.  It’s a relative smash even with people under 50, and not many shows on this list can say that

MSTieScott:
A listicle is a listicle, no matter which publication it's in. Apparently ABC's Press Your Luck recreated the "gloriously 1970s set" and Let's Make a Deal is a "syndicated staple." Gotta churn out something to publish.

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on July 21, 2024, 10:27:21 PM ---Also, I noticed that author said Password is “only” played for $25K.  Glad she’s swimming in money.

--- End quote ---

But didn't you read her article on inflation? Inflation is a thing that exists! For example, when the Super Password jackpot was $25,000 in 1984, it would take more than $74,000 to get the same purchasing power today! Now you know!

steveleb:
it honestly never fails to amaze me how pathetic some paid reporters for national publications can't even bring themselves to google some things as easy to do as what year a version of a show you are employed to write about debuted.  It's called research, and I'm stunned how it seems to be beyond the pay grade of so many writers.  It's no wonder publications like USA TODAY want to replace writers with AI.

BrandonFG:
Newsrooms are a shell of their former self. I've seen so many fellow journalists tossed on the street thanks to venture capitalists who had no business funding a lemonade stand, let alone a newspaper. Add on the fact that publications are desperate for content - any content - and you get articles like this one. Used to be you had editors to make sure everything made sense, but I imagine you have a lotta people wearing many hats. Not that it excuses the errors, but publications going AI is more about greed than it is bad writing.

/Knew it was bunk when they ranked NTT and Password in the Top 5

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version