The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Today’s Learned League mini-quiz: Game Shows 2

<< < (4/6) > >>

SuperSweeper:

--- Quote from: TLEberle on August 16, 2024, 11:08:31 AM ---Playing in the final challenge with several hundred other people, I always approach the assigning of "moneyball" questions a bit randomly, but I surely did not expect so many people to have a row of zeroes for their answer sheets, given that they too were in the championship.

--- End quote ---

There were a LOT of very, very weak groups. I figured any of us who qualified for the Finals were going to be curbstomping most of the others without even breaking a sweat.

Unfortunately, there was at least one person I know who got absolutely hosed and didn't qualify despite getting nearly every question right.

Jeremy Nelson:

--- Quote from: TLEberle on August 04, 2024, 08:05:48 PM ---I do not have any fore-knowledge of any of the material. I am friendly with one of the Smiths but was not invited to playtest.

--- Quote from: Matt Ottinger on August 04, 2024, 07:49:35 PM ---The Thursday set (the last one of the week) had several questions that I was worried the entire quiz would have.  Namely, questions about other elements of pop culture (books and movies) that happen to have references to game shows in them.  If you've not read that particular book or seen that particular movie, it won't matter how much you know about game shows, you'll come up empty.  I'm hoping when the event continues tomorrow that those will be at a minimum.
--- End quote ---
I hesitate to call it an argument because we're just so danged civil and friendly to each other, but I have been having this conversation with Kevin Prather.

--- End quote ---

I have a lot to say today.

While I thought there were some decent questions in the bunch, my breaking point was when someone had to point out to me that Match Day 9 was Price is Right themed. When the source material is buried so deep in the questions that I can't tell you're doing a theme day, that's a problem. There are ways to write challenging game show trivia in a way where the average person may be able to answer correctly on secondary clues. You can ask about the host of Strike it Rich and tie a secondary clue to his baseball and broadcast career to help the masses.

While I think there should be some tangential questions in there to whet the appetite of the general community, I would have preferred more straight-up GS questions. This is a mini-League, and as such, you're consenting to specialized subject matter. Don't like it? There are enough One-Days and Mini Leagues each offseason where a couple of your interests is bound to come up elsewhere. Conversely, non-community people did poorly on the GS stuff, while we wholly complained about the wild tangents. So maybe that was the balance the smith tried to strike.

The one big issue, and I'm sure this comes up in Mini Leagues a bit, is that there are people in our community who missed a "count on one hand" number of questions throughout, and in a ML with 300 groups, ended up paired with two elite players who qualified. While there's no perfect way to group people, maybe people should get automaitc entry to the final if they're in the Top 5% of Total Correct Answers and didn't end up in the top 2 in their group. Just a thought.

tvwxman:
Sooooo. I totally missed there being a sign up for this . Are they doing it again? Regularly? Can someone link please?

trainman:

--- Quote from: tvwxman on August 18, 2024, 08:05:57 AM ---Sooooo. I totally missed there being a sign up for this . Are they doing it again? Regularly? Can someone link please?

--- End quote ---

No, it wouldn't be on a regular basis -- the mini-leagues run in between the regular LearnedLeague seasons, and they're dependent on a member of the site committing to get a group together to write the questions for it, and getting the concept approved by the commissioner (who tries to make the subjects of the mini-leagues relatively diverse). I wouldn't expect a "Game Shows 3" until 2026, if then.

That said, there have been occasional game show-related questions during a regular LearnedLeague season, and there are occasional one-day quizzes on specific game show topics (there was just recently one called "Jeopardy! in Pop Culture").

Jeremy Nelson:

--- Quote from: tvwxman on August 18, 2024, 08:05:57 AM ---Sooooo. I totally missed there being a sign up for this . Are they doing it again? Regularly? Can someone link please?

--- End quote ---
Previous responder already said what needed to be said, but for those of you interested in how you would have done in previous game show themed one-days, links below. Also, check out the Smith's recap at the top for question rationale, get rate, and bonus questions that didn't make the official one-day:

Game Shows (2012)
British Quiz Shows (2021)
Game Show Merchandise (2022)
Press Your Luck (2023)
Game Show Hosts (2023)
Jeopardy (2023)
Wheel of Fortune (2023)
Jeopardy In Pop Culture (2024)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page