Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wesley Hyatt's new WOF book  (Read 2115 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Re: Wesley Hyatt's new WOF book
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2024, 02:37:37 PM »
I know one should never judge a book by its cover, but jeez, it looks like he created it from a PowerPoint slide in five minutes.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2024, 03:08:06 PM »
I know one should never judge a book by its cover, but jeez, it looks like he created it from a PowerPoint slide in five minutes.

Even PowerPoint knows how to center things. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

wdm1219inpenna

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2024, 11:35:51 AM »
Yes indeed the cover is "meh".  And by January 1975 more homes had color TV sets, so it would have been nice had Chuck and Susan's picture been in color.  That said I sort of understand the logic behind it, since it is coming up on 50 years now.  I still remember it back from 1975 as an 8 year old being enamored by it.  Today it's still an okay show but I think Wheel's heyday has come and gone.

steveleb

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2024, 04:43:40 PM »
No kindle version?

BrandonFG

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2024, 04:49:05 PM »
No kindle version?
From what I've seen from Bear Manor, that usually comes along a couple months later.

I'm wondering is the cover just a placeholder?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

snowpeck

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2024, 08:29:12 PM »
No kindle version?
From what I've seen from Bear Manor, that usually comes along a couple months later.

I'm wondering is the cover just a placeholder?

From what I've seen from folks who already have their copies, that is the cover it's shipping with.
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

aaron sica

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2024, 09:27:19 PM »
If there was ever a time for the old saying of not judging a book by its cover to rear its head, it's now. Wesley Hyatt is a great author and I have no doubt this book will be great.

daveromanjr

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2024, 09:47:10 AM »
If there was ever a time for the old saying of not judging a book by its cover to rear its head, it's now. Wesley Hyatt is a great author and I have no doubt this book will be great.
Wonder if Wesley quotes his own self at the end like others????

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2024, 10:26:41 AM »
This is a mostly linear history of the show, from Shopper's Bazaar to Pat's retirement. Along the way, he's got first-hand interviews with Susan Stafford, Bob Goen, Rolf Benirschke, lots of key production people and a bunch of contestants. He didn't get Vanna, Pat or Chuck, but he weaves in their comments and quotes from other (always attributed) sources.  It's a fun read, and even if you think you know all the steps (and missteps) along the way, you're bound to learn something new every few pages.  I certainly did.

I like and admire both Adam Nedeff and Wesley Hyatt as authors, and as human beings.  The biggest difference between them is that Adam will tell you a story, and Wesley will give you All The Facts.  It's not a coincidence that some of Wesley's best works are more along the line of reference books, like Bob Hope On TV or the practically indispensable Encyclopedia of Daytime Television.  Wes will not let any time change, ratings report or specific date of, well, just about anything go undocumented.  If you don't care about that level of detail, you can let a lot of it wash over you.  Still, my only quibble is that the sheen tonnage of it it threatened at times to overwhelm the narrative.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2024, 01:59:06 PM »

And (and I as well love the people in here who use their services, and will still buy their products specifically to support them, but) will be insanely poorly formatted, unless they've gotten better about that very recently. But if they had anything to do with the design of this cover, that's not a good sign.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe