The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Great short-lived shows

<< < (4/23) > >>

TimK2003:
I'll add Catch Phrase to the list.

Art James was a decent host, the gameplay was somewhat challenging, and for the Mid 80's, the graphics were about as good as you could get then.

What killed it was that Syndie Wheel and J! were the really hot newer shows while the other popular game shows of the time were known franchises.  Didn't give much of a chance for a new concept like Catch Phrase to get good timeslots that did not go up against Merv's shows here in the States.

Meanhile, East of the Atlantic, though, the format had a chance to get legs and grow into a decently rated show.

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: JasonA1 on August 08, 2024, 05:01:36 PM ---This is my co-sign. Naturally, it was better with the more inventive categories, but to fill 13 weeks of shows, you need material of all stripes. There are ways to mitigate the subjectivity -- having more than one judge, and making a meal out of that fact, would soften the blow of a "wrong" answer. But if just one person is the arbiter and decides, "nope, you don't bring beer to a picnic," you're bound to make somebody at home mad.

-Jason

--- End quote ---
when you say make a meal of it, do you mean having a judge on camera to deliver verdicts? I think if you’re not doing Caught n the Act have a jury like on Scattergories and if two out of three flash a red light then that’s wrong.

I don’t know if we can call PTB great but Bill makes it jolly fun even if it comes off as a bit of a potboiler.

BillCullen1:

--- Quote from: Winkfan on August 07, 2024, 09:01:27 PM ---Three little words: The Big Showdown

--- End quote ---

Seconded. I also nominate:

The Moneymaze
To Say The Least
Rhyme and Reason
Trebek Double Dare
Catch Phrase

Kevin Prather:
I mentioned Greed earlier, but I'll also put in a good word for Winning Lines. It's a tragedy that such an amazing end game got stuck with such a broken play-in round.

My idea of a solution would be anyone who doesn't make it to the Wonderwall goes back to the 49ers to play again. It takes a little bit of the stink off of getting jobbed in Sudden Death if you at least get another shot at it.

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: Kevin Prather on August 09, 2024, 12:40:52 AM ---I'll also put in a good word for Winning Lines. It's a tragedy that such an amazing end game got stuck with such a broken play-in round.

My idea of a solution would be anyone who doesn't make it to the Wonderwall goes back to the 49ers to play again. It takes a little bit of the stink off of getting jobbed in Sudden Death if you at least get another shot at it.

--- End quote ---
For years I've said the show could scrap the first 20 minutes in favor of either a Ring of Fire play-in with seven to 10 players, or an elimination contest similar to 1 vs. 100 or The 1% Club, keeping the original 49 players.

With the former concept, you could prolly get two games in a self-contained half-hour. It may requires a name change tho...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version