The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Great short-lived shows

<< < (6/23) > >>

TLEberle:

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on August 09, 2024, 10:57:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: Chelsea Thrasher on August 09, 2024, 09:46:30 AM --- Switching to the player-linked progressive jackpot mid-run was a fundamentally solid idea as well (if you haven't seen: A player's first trip to the bonus was worth $5K. If they lost, it was worth $10K next time, then $15K, etc...BUT unlike Super Password, etc. if that player lost, the jackpot automatically reset. (IE no profiting off past players failures).

--- End quote ---
I respect your opinion plenty…so I have to ask…what makes this a “solid idea”?  Win three straight times, you win $15,000.  Lose two and then win…you’ve actually made out better, as you got the $100/correct answer in the losses plus the $15k.

--- End quote ---
Just my own--you get the excitement as a champion stays on and tries to knock off the end game for $25,000 instead of $5,000, but also if the champion loses the accountants are happy as that's at least $20,000 that goes back into the prize budget. Chelsea also made the point about free riding and showing up at the right time. If you can play ten gold runs the most you can win is $52,000 plus the consolation cash, not swoop in and win a monster bank.

I thought Jeopardy '78 and Sale of the Late 1980s were fine with their growing jackpots irrespective of a win or loss but Sale was absolutely rendered inert with so many smaller steps.

Jeremy Nelson:

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on August 09, 2024, 10:57:19 AM ---
--- Quote from: Chelsea Thrasher on August 09, 2024, 09:46:30 AM --- Switching to the player-linked progressive jackpot mid-run was a fundamentally solid idea as well (if you haven't seen: A player's first trip to the bonus was worth $5K. If they lost, it was worth $10K next time, then $15K, etc...BUT unlike Super Password, etc. if that player lost, the jackpot automatically reset. (IE no profiting off past players failures).

--- End quote ---
I respect your opinion plenty…so I have to ask…what makes this a “solid idea”?  Win three straight times, you win $15,000.  Lose two and then win…you’ve actually made out better, as you got the $100/correct answer in the losses plus the $15k.

My preference would have been playing for $5000 on the first win, $10k for the second, etc.

--- End quote ---
I think Wordplay solved for this perfectly by only adding $2,500 to the jackpot for each unsuccessful run. You can still knock off a big jackpot if you win after a couple unsuccessful tries, but you ultimately make out way better if you just win every time you go up to the bonus.

Neumms:
Money Maze (which should come back in prime time)
Alex Trebek’s Double Dare
Bruce Forsyth’s Hot Streak (I may be the only one here who liked it)

The Now You See It solo game was so exciting. I wish they’d added racing a clock to a front game round (a la Million Dollar Password where it wasn’t so welcome).

Chelsea Thrasher:

--- Quote from: Dbacksfan12 on August 09, 2024, 10:57:19 AM ---I respect your opinion plenty…so I have to ask…what makes this a “solid idea”? 

--- End quote ---

In this case, it largely hews to what Travis said, about fulfilling the "show" end of "game show" (the optics of an increasingly large jackpot) while at the same time being significantly easier on the budget over the long haul than a true progressive jackpot that doesn't encourage a free ride. The prime example is one of Blockbusters' contemporaries, Super Password. The preceding week could easily have the customary 5-6 games per week all end in a shutout in the end game, new player walks on the next week with a new celebrity, cashes out the game for $30K-$35K, then goes home next game.  With Blockbusters, you still keep the occasional "our champion is playing for $35,000!", but if they fail out seven straight then lose on the eighth, the show just saved $35K (as the new player plays for $5K instead of $40K). 

I agree with Jeremy's general thesis about Wordplay incentivizing repeat winners at the lower total by making the start more than the increment, however, totals like $7,500, $12,500, etc. are clunky in execution in ways that multiples of $5K/$10K aren't. (Similar to how Wheel of Fortune's whole "$37,000 for season 37!" thing was always weird).

SamJ93:

--- Quote from: Neumms on August 09, 2024, 12:48:07 PM ---Money Maze (which should come back in prime time)

--- End quote ---

You know what? I had never thought about it before, but in the wake of The Wall, The Quiz With Balls and their ilk, I could see this working. The only problem is that we'd now be treated to a 5-minute video blurb about how badly the couple needs the money and a 30-second "suspenseful" pause before revealing the value of every prize column.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version