The Game Show Forum > The Big Board

Great short-lived shows

<< < (2/23) > >>

BrandonFG:

--- Quote from: Winkfan on August 07, 2024, 09:01:27 PM ---Three little words: The Big Showdown

--- End quote ---
This is the way.

It ran a little longer than 26 weeks, but Talk About is a pretty underrated show IMO.

Ian Wallis:

--- Quote from: Blanquepage on August 07, 2024, 10:53:36 PM ---Break the Bank for certain. A modern choice for me is The Rich List, and was glad to see GSN try to bring it back. Too bad it just didn't catch on here.

--- End quote ---

I'll go along with Break the Bank.  It make be a takeoff on Hollywood Squares, but I think it's a cleverly conceived and endlessly interesting show that didn't get a fair shot.

Fred Silverman cancelled it prematurely, despite strong ratings, because he was hell-bent on expanding soap operas.  Both One Life To Live and General Hospital were expanded from 30 to 45 minutes after the departure of Break the Bank.  I remember reading some time ago that it took the ratings a long time to climb back to what they were before the cancellation.

What they should have done was delay the premiere of Hot Seat - that was a waste of a half-hour - and move Break the Bank into that slot.  It probably would have had at least a few more months if that had occurred.

PYLdude:
I always had a soft spot for That’s The Question. I liked the combination of questions with hangman-style puzzles.

I felt Now You See It deserved a better fate, especially the later version.

Long live Jeopardy:
1. Chain Reaction (1980 Bill Cullen version)
2. Dream House (1983-84 Bob Eubanks version)
3. Talkabout (Wayne Cox)
4. Trivial Pursuit (1993 Wink Martindale version)
5. My Generation (1998 VH1 game show)

SamJ93:

--- Quote from: carlisle96 on August 07, 2024, 08:54:23 PM ---I don't know if this has been brought up before, gang, but what do you nominate as a great show that bombed in the ratings or was yanked after 13 or 26 weeks for other reasons? My nomination is the Bill Cullen "Pass the Buck" with Trebek's "Double Dare" as a runner-up.

--- End quote ---

It's been noted many times before, but PtB's major flaw was that it relied on categories whose answers were subjectively judged. If they had just stuck to objective trivia lists and/or surveys with pre-defined answers a là Hot Potato, it would've been far more enjoyable, though probably not any more long-lived.

As for DD '76, co-sign.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version